Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Peaches falling off

Anyone have a clue? Had a wonderful crop last year but this year I didn't have many blooms and now what I do have are dime size and falling off the tree.

YES!! Maintaining a regular spray application for insects and fungus:
November 3, 2012
Sprayed all the fruit tree’s and grape vines with the copper fungicide as prevention for peach leaf curl next season. 1 oz per gallon used 4 gallon. This is done after the leaves fall and tree’s going dormant.

February 7, 2013
Sprayed Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dormant Spray Oil (at the recommended 2.5 oz. per gallon) & Fixed copper (1 oz. per Gallon) on all the peach, apple, cherry tree’s & grape vines with good coverage. Used 6 gallon

February 10
Fertilized all fruit trees and grape vines with triple 10 ahead of a good rainfall forecasted.

February 25
Repeat application from Feb 7, Used 8 gallon really doing a complete coverage.

April 9.
Apples only, sprayed captan + Immunox at recommended rate while apple buds were at green tip stage; used 1 gallon.

May 1
With some beautiful dime size peaches and ¼ inch diameter cherries sprayed for fungus with Spectracide Immunox @ 1 oz./gal & Captan 50W @ 6.5 Tablespoons per 2 gallon for fungus & for insects with Spectracide Malathion @ 1 oz./gal. & Seven concentrate at a rate of 3 oz per gallon. Mixed all 4 together and sprayed at once, used 4 gallon.

May 7
With 2.5 inches of rain in the past week reapplied the May 1 application.

May 20
Repeat application with one exception; cutting back on captan to half rate and experimenting with leaves falling off tree’s. 13 Tablespoons/4 Gal. So 3.25/2 is 1.625 /Gal. 1.625 X 3 is 4.875 so used 5 Tablespoons to 3 Gallon. Used 3 Gallon since all that is being sprayed is peach tree’s and cherry tree’s.

Any help appreciated but think I'm screwed for this season

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what the specific problem is, but you shouldn't be surprised that peach tree's act that way in KY. That's too far north for optimal peach growing condition's.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Kirk! I'm old school crack them open to see if there are worms. Worms do cause fruit drop. Start putting a layer of well decomposed mulch around them each year(3 inches thick)
Br600
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Hey Kirk! I'm old school crack them open to see if there are worms. Worms do cause fruit drop. Start putting a layer of well decomposed mulch around them each year(3 inches thick)
Nope, no worms and actually I have cracked them open to rule out frost damage. The hull looks fine so that ruled out frost being the cause.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirk:
Strange my apple trees and other orchards here in TN are dropping fruit. Never seen it this bad. A small Granny Smith in another orchard lost all of its small apples as if they had been frostbit. There was a cool night about two weeks ago when temps dropped to 37...wonder if that might have done it. Let me know if trees have quit dropping.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Kirk:
Strange my apple trees and other orchards here in TN are dropping fruit. Never seen it this bad. A small Granny Smith in another orchard lost all of its small apples as if they had been frostbit. There was a cool night about two weeks ago when temps dropped to 37...wonder if that might have done it. Let me know if trees have quit dropping.
Talked to my contacted at Unv of KY yesterday. I sent him pictures of the dropped fruit cut open to see the development of the pit (seed) and it was developing fine, if it was frost it would been dark brown and dried.

He's at a loss to what it is, said I've done well and kept a spray schedule so wasn't no peaches with sap coming out so wasn't insects either nor disease.

He didn't mention no reports of others in the area with fruit dropping but now you got me wondering.

Thanks
RAlmaroad

Then God created Women
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hate to see the problems Kirk.
I am getting out my Aluminum helmet on this conundrum.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Ask a farmer what they have been seeing.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sabotage! First Bell Peppers, now Peaches. Water melons are next! I'm thinking next door neighbor shenanigans
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
Sabotage! First Bell Peppers, now Peaches. Water melons are next! I'm thinking next door neighbor shenanigans
Neighbor is leaving me alone *Knock on wood*

Lets not jinx it by bringing that ***** up

Then God created Women