Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

BLACK-MAC in Ontario

Spraying blackmac , always left with lines after. All new Protect equipment , tried adjusting pressure ,different tips , adjust height of wand . This is driving me nuts ! Any help would be appreciated .
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It should drive you nuts :P It's what makes me different from all my competition They all leave those nasty zebra lines and strips I called them, while our driveway are just immaculate.

PSI will have a huge effect on this, a long with the engine RPM, and the height and speed you are spraying. But the biggest thing you can correct for no trips is to get proper tips.. I never use brass tips, only use ceramic or stainless tips, and preferably the wide sprays like 80 degrees and I spray higher. Those type of tips will spray very wide, so you have to turn down your engine RPM when doing the edging, then turn it back on once you spray. Make sure you have a clean filter inside the spray gun.

Best is to do trial and error like I did over the years, buy and test out different kind of tips from protect asphalt and different spraying techniques until you have a acquire one that leaves a immaculate result. We always carry different kind of tips for different kind of driveways in our trailer, plus make sure we have at least 10 of each for backup reasons.
Complete lawn care services
Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Using #2 stainless tip now. I will lower rpm and are you saying to turn pressure up or down ?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends what is the angle of your spray, if it is a wide angle spray, they are harder to do the edging with, because the spray is so wide, so you lower the rpm for the edging then put it back to high when you spray in the middle of the driveway. Just go with trial and error until you are comfortable with a good pressure for you.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your advice , when spraying do you barely overlap or overlap 1/2 way ?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

overlap 1/2 to 1/3 on newly driveway. If it's a driveway that has been previously sealed, and you do not need much sealer then no need to overlap. Only overlap on driveways that are very oxidize (grey) that requires more sealer.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I will try that. Been trying to hold tip high as possible ( 20" ) depending on wind .Hose from bottom of tank to the pump is almost flat, another head scratcher.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for jumping in here, but your thread answered a lot of my questions and I thank you for your feedback.

I also am experiencing lines from my spray and am using Black Mac from McAsphalt and my unit was purchased from Protect. I have brass tips and would like to know where I can purchase either Ceramic or Stainless still tips?

Any suggestions would certainly help me out greatly.

Shawzer, how are you making out with the advice given by JF Gauvreau? I hope the tips and new filters are the solution. I use a clean tip and filter for every driveway.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Bought stainless tips from sprayman in barrie , same place I buy blackmac. Still adjusting the pressure down and lowering rpm , getting better.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Tar & Chip

Anybody sprayed Black mac over tar & chip or compacted recycled asphalt ? Curious on the outcome .