Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Going to kill my lawn!

I am going to kill my lawn and bring in compost to rototill into my exitsing soil. My question is what should I do to kill the grass. Some people think I should you a sodcutter to get rid of existing lawn. Others think I should cut it as low as I can then rototill and rake out clumps of grass. Looking for some of your expertise!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roto till is tough work and then you have thousands of pieces of sod to pick up and remove--too much labor. Sod cutter is only slightly better...because then you have a few thousand pounds of sod to haul away. Then install irrigation and new top quality 100 percent bluegrass sod. Begin professional care with an owner-operated company.

Others with more experience can advise you better than I. Some suggest Roundup to kill grass--followed by slit seeding after about 2 weeks wait. Start about August first. So you can sow your new seed by about Aug 15 in your part of the country.

Clarify exactly why you want to kill your present grass. There is no sense in replacing it with perennial rye or the same quality of grass and leaving out the irrigation.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you Roundup the lawn now,,, much of it will be in DECAY by Sept. 1st and till in quite easily w/out so much problem with CLUMPS...
Keep it brown and keep it moist,,, adding the compost as soon as the green is gone to speed up the decay process...
Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Member

MM, no pro here but I renovated a large part of my yard last year and believe me when I say you do NOT want to till. All you're doing when you till is bringing up all those dormant weed seeds. I learned the hard way. Mow it down as far as you can and then put the Gly to it when the temps are up, then wait for it all to die off. You can then broadcast or slit seed. Grady
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, do not till. You will disturb the weed seeds and then you will have a bigger problem...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tilling or not tilling depends on the soil and the amendments desired,,, rather than concern about weed seeds... these are ANNUALS and will be of zero consequence when Fall seeding occurs... if the soil is NOT compacted and requires no amendments then no big deal...
Ideally you would keep the ground worked up every time the seeds germinated and the ground would be clean at Sept. 1st and the seeding could be done then... annuals that germinate after that date are dead in the water,,, whereas the grass is taking hold and dominating that space... continue to seed thin areas right up to the first snow storm...
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input. I saw online some people cut there lawn really low then Roundup the whole lawn once it turns brown rent a de thatcher and that should remove all the dead grass, so you are left with just dirt. Once I remove my existing lawn area I am going to bring in a lot of compost from a local farm and then I was going to rototill it in before it gets hydroseeded. I just was not sure what would be the best way to remove the lawn. Thank you all for your input. If I can load the pictures of my yard I will post them.