Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a feeling all of that stuff will go fast if he prices everything right. Heck I might be interested in a couple things there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Am I alone in finding big grass to mow on July 9, unlike most seasons? I'm cutting high because it is Summer, but also because there is so much to cut. The rain just keeps coming. Last night, this area had more than 1" rain.

Two weeks ago, I moved a couple of properties to EOW, and now regret having done so.

Last season, the growth was dwindling by June 20 (looked at my records). By the last week in June (our Community Day), I had no work and went to Community Day for the first time in many, many years. Also, I took July 4 off last season because "hardly anything to cut."

This season, I'm peddling fast, and having a hard time keeping pace. The season started so late, and lots of cuts were missed in early April. Maybe the continued regular cuts now will help balance out all the losses at the beginning of the season. The season is certainly different than 2012. And, now bush trimming season starts. Usually I have plenty of time because of loss of mowing work. Fitting both together is going to be a challenge for me.

Is everybody else peddling fast? Or, am I alone?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm worried I will lose a client over delays in getting to hedge trimming and other odd jobs.

I'm able to keep up with the mowing and have only skipped one cut this season, but I'm doing it by working on days set aside for project work.

It's always something. Saturday I did three hedge cutbacks, filling my trailer with debris. Low and behold Agrecycle was CLOSED when I got there at 2:30 so I was stuck with a trailer filled with debris until Monday. I could have done work on Sunday, but I had no way to transport a mower, and no room left for additional clippings.

Monday I spent time going to dump then coming home to get my mowers. I ended up not getting two cuts done as a result. No big deal - I'll do them on Tuesday after I get the other three hedge jobs done that people have requested 2-3 weeks ago.

Tuesday morning the cat is found unresponsive and barely moving. Off to the vet ER we go. I get home about 1pm and have time to drive ten miles to do the two cuts I didn't get done yesterday. Not enough time left to do any of the hedges. Again.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
This is getting old. So is cutting tall grass.

Grass is growing like mad this season. Since I have the mulch kit on the Ferris walk behind, I'm finding myself using the 21" most days because the grass is simply too tall to mulch with the walk behind.

Rain coat is ready for tomorrow. I can't afford to lose any more time.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Haven't been on the forum much lately just because of the rain and trying to get caught up. Rained yesterday morning and I did get out and got 4 lawns done. I am still behind cause it is raining this morning again and they are calling for more. Thursdays and Friday forecast is looking good. I will be out early and back late to get caught up.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Am I alone in finding big grass to mow on July 9, unlike most seasons? I'm cutting high because it is Summer, but also because there is so much to cut. The rain just keeps coming. Last night, this area had more than 1" rain.

Two weeks ago, I moved a couple of properties to EOW, and now regret having done so.

Last season, the growth was dwindling by June 20 (looked at my records). By the last week in June (our Community Day), I had no work and went to Community Day for the first time in many, many years. Also, I took July 4 off last season because "hardly anything to cut."

This season, I'm peddling fast, and having a hard time keeping pace. The season started so late, and lots of cuts were missed in early April. Maybe the continued regular cuts now will help balance out all the losses at the beginning of the season. The season is certainly different than 2012. And, now bush trimming season starts. Usually I have plenty of time because of loss of mowing work. Fitting both together is going to be a challenge for me.

Is everybody else peddling fast? Or, am I alone?
Absolutely Roger, peddling fast and still not keeping up. Still have 3 mulch jobs to complete and of course all of the shrub pruning calls have started. I have no idea how I'm going to get all of this stuff done in the next 3 weeks. May be doing 7 days a week til August.

Oh and the rain, got a nice creek running through my yard currently!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Same here on the pruning and mulch jobs coming in. I got 8 clients done today so I am looking good as long as I hammer the rest out in to days. I have 2 mulch bids to do and a pruning job buy Friday. Just got home and showered and the thunder storms started. Also under flood watch till 9pm.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, first time in this thread since the season started I believe. I see I'm not the only one feeling the pains of this season... It's nice to have green grass but it feels like spring never ended.

Anyone who is a smaller operation like mine where are you all sourcing your help from?? I can't find good help! I reached out to some temp services but have yet to get rates back. Most guys last a day or two then cop out saying the work is too hard.

Servicing Greater Pittsburgh & Surrounding Areas
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny01blaze View Post
Hey everyone, first time in this thread since the season started I believe. I see I'm not the only one feeling the pains of this season... It's nice to have green grass but it feels like spring never ended.

Anyone who is a smaller operation like mine where are you all sourcing your help from?? I can't find good help! I reached out to some temp services but have yet to get rates back. Most guys last a day or two then cop out saying the work is too hard.
What is this "help" you speak of?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Any idea what this shrub type thing is?

Is it Black Lace Elderberry?

Someone asked and I don't know.
Here's what they said about it...

Quote:
The bark is really funny, some of it is really green, others of it is brown, but in the fall it all turns purple and dies. If I had a picture of this tree in the winter, it is amazing the transformation it goes through.
In the 3rd image you can see the purple branch - those will all wilt and fall off by the end of the year.

Any idea?
http://s21.postimg.org/khc1nlkav/Pho...7_43_29_PM.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/pdfofakg7/Pho...7_43_41_PM.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/ckrkfd8uf/Pho...7_43_53_PM.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/nmwndt2x3/Pho...7_44_09_PM.jpg

At least the pics are pretty clear.

Last edited by OakNut; 07-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does it flower at all?

Tags
n'at!