Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
Does it flower at all?
I suggested googling to see if the decsription matched what they know about it...

Quote:
Our flowers do not get nearly as pretty as the ones in google! It has a very distinct odor. Its just growing out of control!
Mystery solved, I guess.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Any idea what this shrub type thing is?

Is it Black Lace Elderberry?

Someone asked and I don't know.
Here's what they said about it...

http://s21.postimg.org/khc1nlkav/Pho...7_43_29_PM.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/pdfofakg7/Pho...7_43_41_PM.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/ckrkfd8uf/Pho...7_43_53_PM.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/nmwndt2x3/Pho...7_44_09_PM.jpg

At least the pics are pretty clear.
Sounds like you're spot on with the Black Lace Elderberry, never heard or even seen it before but IMHO I wouldn't ever plant it.

2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 Dump
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500
2013 7x16 Big Tex
2010 6x10 Big Tex
Buyers 2YD Poly Spreader
52" Scag Cheetah
48" Exmark Turf Tracer
48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I googled "purple shrubs" and started looking at photos. It took me about 35 seconds.

I'm a freaking genius.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hot enuff fer ya?

Thought I'd post it in case you didn't hear that enough today.

I swear to god - the next person is gonna lose some teeth...
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Mhmm got that about 10 times today..

Greenspan Lawn Care LLC
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody have ideas regarding making crab grass a cash crop?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea Oaknut all my clients that I see said that!! Getting ready for today and it going to be a scorcher!! Keep hydrated guys it going to be low 90's!!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, nobody posted here in about three weeks! That can only mean that everybody is working.

Yes, continuing to pedal fast here. No breaks, no slack time for getting the bush trimming jobs done. I am way behind. Grass continues to grow, and we get enough rain to keep it moving. Looks like some of you north of 'burgh may be getting hammered tonight.

How about ground nests? Last season, I did not get stung one time. This season, I think I've been nailed four or five times. Today was the worst. I can't count them all, but about 10 total, in four different places. I hit the nest with the trimmer, and they were really aggressive. I kept backing off, and a couple of them stung me at least 30 feet away.

Two weeks ago, I got stung twice. It was at an open location. I searched in vain for a nest, but found nothing. Last week, while mowing the same property, I found the nest, about 35 feet away from where they stung me the week before. Last week I mowed over the nest once, without harm. In the return pass, I saw the nest about 10 feet in front of the mower to was able to avoid.

In nearly all cases, the stings are through double socks, on the ankle. I always wear a thin underliner, and a a heavy work sock over top. They are able to penetrate both, and still do damage.

Usually, ground nests appear after a prolonged dry and hot spell, in dry ground. This is not the case this year. In all cases, except today, the nests are in an open area, a hole in the turf at a place with no significance. Today, the nest was under a dogwood tree, in an area I cannot mow, but keep trimmed down with the string. The hole was next to a fern stump. I'm hoping that when I return next week, some larger critter, such as skunk or raccoon will have dug it out.

Anybody else seeing a proliferation of ground nests this Summer?

Just for reference, my July cuts/sales were very close to May, certainly much better than June. A season unlike others.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's funny is that while I don't mow grass for a living anymore, two times cutting grass this year I've gotten stung. Once was on the small of my back and I couldn't find a nest anywhere. Felt like it had to have been a bald faced hornet as it was incredibly painful, put me out for a minute or two. Second time I got nailed behind the ear twice by a bumble bee. I had never in my life seen a bumble bee nest anywhere, but I ran one over that was in the ground. They're very docile while pollinating flower, to the point where I can physically poke them and there's no problem, but my mower was inaccessible for a few minutes because it was covered in angry bumble bees.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's been a good year for services, but a bad year on sales. Not sure what is going on but people are crazy on some of their expected prices. I had a guy contact me and ask me if I could manage his 6 acre property for $80! Last week I did a estimate in the country, was 1 acre and I quoted $70 weekly. She told me the last guy did it for $40. And I lost every bid (by nearly half the price) that was 1 acre or more.

I guess I'm more profitable on smaller residential property because that is what I am setup to service. But if you guys out there with your big trucks and multiple zero turn trailers are charging these prices for larger properties... I feel sorry for you.

Anybody else have this problem?

Tags
n'at!