Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Been there. Had the same thing happen to me with two clients in new developments about 2 years ago and it seemed like I had at least 4 tires go on us that season. It was like once a month I felt like the mechcanic down the street was throwing nails everywhere I went.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do understand insurance, right?

Insurance is where the clients pay a company enough money to support the owner, the employees and their business first, then they set a little of the premium aside in case any client ever needs anything. In some cases the part that gets set aside is as little as 10%, in other cases as much as 90% but no matter how we look at it, when it comes to insurance the only winner here is the insurance company. So that either way things go, the client's premiums pays the insurance company's electric bill.

If you have insurance, you are paying that company's cost of doing business and their profit first.

In summary Insurance companies are NOT in the business to lose money and in that sense, if you ever have insurance you will not come out ahead.
Perhaps some folks in a sheer stroke of (bad) luck do, but when that happens everyone else loses.

As well off playing the lottery.

And now you understand Road Hazard warranties.

Last edited by herler; 07-11-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

About 5 years ago ,between the truck,trailer, and mowers, I had 10 flats in 7 days! Today I had my first flat of the season on my Exmark.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually go through 10-20 tires a season...Not fun..
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep we go thru em...This week a cable used to double secure trimmers got loose and under the wheel. It wore a big groove in it but thanks to people passing me they flagged me. Then today new truck has big bolt stuck
in the sidewall. It had a nail a few weeks ago and I plugged it and....didn't have any nitrogen
Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Tires were getting plugged before there were steel cords. They stayed in with no problems.
Good plugs, like saftey-seal or blackjack are self vulcanizing meaning they bond on a chemical level to the rubber, it has nothing to do with the cords or belts.. The hotter the tire gets the harder they "stick" to the rubber.. In fact Michelin recommends plugs over a patch in there tires because if you patch the tread area with a plug it will seal out water from the steel belts..
Old 07-12-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

screw it. i'm plugging my sidewalls from now on. this has to be propaganda to get people to buy more tires. I wish bridgestone would release their airless tires for more than personal mobility devices.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
screw it. i'm plugging my sidewalls from now on. this has to be propaganda to get people to buy more tires. I wish bridgestone would release their airless tires for more than personal mobility devices.
It's not propaganda at all. It's a legit concern. If you plug your own sidewall and something happens it's your fault. Now if a shop does it it's all them. No legit shop will plug one
Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I repair at least one mowing tire a week. At least. Last years bill for rubber replacement and repair was ~$5,000.

You only think its expensive to replace car and mower tires... I just put new rubber on this thing today.....

Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks expensive