Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

toro 2000 series

Ok guys i have a new toro 2000 series z master last week i was doing my mother's yard and she has a slight slope in the back very small slope and as i would mow down and pull back it was like nothing was happening and then all of a sudden it goes backwards so i thought maybe it was just because i was on the hill, but ive started to notice it hesitating when pulling the left lever back and not the right side it doesn't have no whining noise or anything that sounds any different on the mower and it only has 49 hour's also i checked the hydro fluid level and its dead on the money perfect. am i just being paranoid is this common with toro's to hesitate sometimes when going back?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't say that it's common. Would the tires just happen to be slipping briefly as you start to back up? Have you also had the mower do this on the street?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

No tire slip it just hesitates for a second and then pulls. Tried it out on the driveway and it don't do it every time but it did happen twice has me puzzled.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4x0r View Post
Ok guys i have a new toro 2000 series z master last week i was doing my mother's yard and she has a slight slope in the back very small slope and as i would mow down and pull back it was like nothing was happening and then all of a sudden it goes backwards so i thought maybe it was just because i was on the hill, but ive started to notice it hesitating when pulling the left lever back and not the right side it doesn't have no whining noise or anything that sounds any different on the mower and it only has 49 hour's also i checked the hydro fluid level and its dead on the money perfect. am i just being paranoid is this common with toro's to hesitate sometimes when going back?
Of course it isn't. Bring it back to the dealer. Sound like you have a bad transaxle.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Of course it isn't. Bring it back to the dealer. Sound like you have a bad transaxle.
this is correct..
I had a walk behind that was hesitant when returning to going forward, and Toro did the right thing and changed out the hydro pump after I talked with a few people.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Hi there, we just ran across your post, and wanted to weigh in. First of all, we strongly suggest mowing across any incline, not up and down. That being said, there are a couple of possibilities for the hesitation. It may just be a belt slipping. If that possibility is ruled out, it may just take a moment for the hydro to catch. Occasionally if you are going downhill at a high rate of speed and pull the levers back quickly, that can happen. The last possibility is the potential for a bad hydro. We suggest checking the belt and adjusting the speed of the machine and if this does not help, please see your local dealer for further inspection.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thank for the reply, i checked the belt it's good and tight, also the hill i guess i should have described it better is just a small slant in the yard more of just a un level part of the yard, i have taken it out on my driveway and tested it on level concrete and it did the same thing a couple time's. So i guess i'm going to load it up and take it too the dealer tomorrow and see what they say . thank you for the help and replys
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Hey thank for the reply, i checked the belt it's good and tight, also the hill i guess i should have described it better is just a small slant in the yard more of just a un level part of the yard, i have taken it out on my driveway and tested it on level concrete and it did the same thing a couple time's. So i guess i'm going to load it up and take it too the dealer tomorrow and see what they say . thank you for the help and replys
So what was it ?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong