Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Tower Rat 95B Tower Rat 95B is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 110
Thanks all for the replies and Dlawson that link is interesting will give the site some read time!

http://www.819resources.com/ebooks/day-18-tuesday/.



Going to explore getting a part time on the books helper, did that years back I did not care for help then but maybe it will be different now .
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,101
Easy to say drop your PIA's when you have a full or almost full schedule.

Not wise when you need their business.

However after realizing you erred on the estimate when doing a weekly service after doing the service the first time. You do need to tell the customer that you honor the price this time but to continue next week there has to be a price increase.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 AM
RWI RWI is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 125
I did 130k last month, and honestly I was disappointed in that number. You have got to pay to play. I spent 30k in advertising this month, because I am not where I want to be. You have to be determined to be the absolute best in what you do. You have to realize you will never quit learning. Its hard work, I typically work 18-20 hours a day... and you may say I don't have a "life", but when you incorporate your family into your passion and they are a part of your success and your failures.... it becomes a wonderful life.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 AM
SRT8's Avatar
SRT8 SRT8 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
I did 130k last month, and honestly I was disappointed in that number. You have got to pay to play. I spent 30k in advertising this month, because I am not where I want to be. You have to be determined to be the absolute best in what you do. You have to realize you will never quit learning. Its hard work, I typically work 18-20 hours a day... and you may say I don't have a "life", but when you incorporate your family into your passion and they are a part of your success and your failures.... it becomes a wonderful life.
Wow thats a lot in advertising. Ever thought of a sales rep?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 AM
RWI RWI is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
Wow thats a lot in advertising. Ever thought of a sales rep?
A sales rep? I really don't want to send a sales rep to represent my company on a 30-300k install. I would rather do it myself. And I am not looking to gross 5 million dollars. I just want to net 500k-750k while grossing 2-3 million with 20-30 employees. I expect 100k per employee. And I have done it over the last 2 years. 1.1 million gross with 11 employees, but there are a few "work arounds" to do this.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 AM
RWI RWI is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 125
Also, what percentage of your gross do you spend on advertising?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 AM
SRT8's Avatar
SRT8 SRT8 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
A sales rep? I really don't want to send a sales rep to represent my company on a 30-300k install. I would rather do it myself. And I am not looking to gross 5 million dollars. I just want to net 500k-750k while grossing 2-3 million with 20-30 employees. I expect 100k per employee. And I have done it over the last 2 years. 1.1 million gross with 11 employees, but there are a few "work arounds" to do this.
I have been doing really well with my irrigation techs. So far they have done about $250k between 2 techs this year.
Ever though about selling irrigation enhancement jobs?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:35 AM
RWI RWI is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
I have been doing really well with my irrigation techs. So far they have done about $250k between 2 techs this year.
Ever though about selling irrigation enhancement jobs?
That is awesome. I only have one irrigation tech(that is 20 years older than me). He does sell jobs, or at least propagates leads for maintenance or landscaping. I give him a $20 bonus for every company logo sticker he puts on an irrigation controller.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 AM
SRT8's Avatar
SRT8 SRT8 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
Also, what percentage of your gross do you spend on advertising?
We dont advertise much. Maybe $1,500 a year if that.
We have been around for many years and have so many contacts that the work and refferals keep coming.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:06 AM
RWI RWI is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
We dont advertise much. Maybe $1,500 a year if that.
We have been around for many years and have so many contacts that the work and refferals keep coming.
I have a little different mindset. I don't do commercial. My goal is to only work for high end residential. And reaching these type people is an art form. One of my passions is garden design, and I want to design, manage installation, and maintain.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.09158 seconds with 10 queries