Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the replies and Dlawson that link is interesting will give the site some read time!

http://www.819resources.com/ebooks/day-18-tuesday/.

Going to explore getting a part time on the books helper, did that years back I did not care for help then but maybe it will be different now .
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Easy to say drop your PIA's when you have a full or almost full schedule.

Not wise when you need their business.

However after realizing you erred on the estimate when doing a weekly service after doing the service the first time. You do need to tell the customer that you honor the price this time but to continue next week there has to be a price increase.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Banned

I did 130k last month, and honestly I was disappointed in that number. You have got to pay to play. I spent 30k in advertising this month, because I am not where I want to be. You have to be determined to be the absolute best in what you do. You have to realize you will never quit learning. Its hard work, I typically work 18-20 hours a day... and you may say I don't have a "life", but when you incorporate your family into your passion and they are a part of your success and your failures.... it becomes a wonderful life.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
I did 130k last month, and honestly I was disappointed in that number. You have got to pay to play. I spent 30k in advertising this month, because I am not where I want to be. You have to be determined to be the absolute best in what you do. You have to realize you will never quit learning. Its hard work, I typically work 18-20 hours a day... and you may say I don't have a "life", but when you incorporate your family into your passion and they are a part of your success and your failures.... it becomes a wonderful life.
Wow thats a lot in advertising. Ever thought of a sales rep?
Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
Wow thats a lot in advertising. Ever thought of a sales rep?
A sales rep? I really don't want to send a sales rep to represent my company on a 30-300k install. I would rather do it myself. And I am not looking to gross 5 million dollars. I just want to net 500k-750k while grossing 2-3 million with 20-30 employees. I expect 100k per employee. And I have done it over the last 2 years. 1.1 million gross with 11 employees, but there are a few "work arounds" to do this.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Banned

Also, what percentage of your gross do you spend on advertising?
Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
A sales rep? I really don't want to send a sales rep to represent my company on a 30-300k install. I would rather do it myself. And I am not looking to gross 5 million dollars. I just want to net 500k-750k while grossing 2-3 million with 20-30 employees. I expect 100k per employee. And I have done it over the last 2 years. 1.1 million gross with 11 employees, but there are a few "work arounds" to do this.
I have been doing really well with my irrigation techs. So far they have done about $250k between 2 techs this year.
Ever though about selling irrigation enhancement jobs?
Old 07-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have been doing really well with my irrigation techs. So far they have done about $250k between 2 techs this year.
Ever though about selling irrigation enhancement jobs?
That is awesome. I only have one irrigation tech(that is 20 years older than me). He does sell jobs, or at least propagates leads for maintenance or landscaping. I give him a $20 bonus for every company logo sticker he puts on an irrigation controller.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Also, what percentage of your gross do you spend on advertising?
We dont advertise much. Maybe $1,500 a year if that.
We have been around for many years and have so many contacts that the work and refferals keep coming.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
We dont advertise much. Maybe $1,500 a year if that.
We have been around for many years and have so many contacts that the work and refferals keep coming.
I have a little different mindset. I don't do commercial. My goal is to only work for high end residential. And reaching these type people is an art form. One of my passions is garden design, and I want to design, manage installation, and maintain.