Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter "ID" 2 wire

Needing to replace a section of a 2 wire system we installed due to damage and only need 150' of wire. I can only purchase Hunter in 2500' rolls.. I can get a 500' roll of Rainbirds version and I am being told they will cross: any real work experiences with this please chime in.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
Needing to replace a section of a 2 wire system we installed due to damage and only need 150' of wire. I can only purchase Hunter in 2500' rolls.. I can get a 500' roll of Rainbirds version and I am being told they will cross: any real work experiences with this please chime in.
Looks like the Hunter cable is twisted inside of the jacket. The Rain Bird Maxi-Cable is not.

Hunter:
http://www.paigewire.com/pdf/p7354d.pdf

Rain Bird:
http://www.paigewire.com/specs/P7072D.htm
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Looks like the Hunter cable is twisted inside of the jacket. The Rain Bird Maxi-Cable is not.

Hunter:
http://www.paigewire.com/pdf/p7354d.pdf

Rain Bird:
http://www.paigewire.com/specs/P7072D.htm

It will not make a difference, but unlike traditional wiring the polarity matters. Do not get the wire colors mixed up, sometimes two wire is blue and red, sometimes black and white, etc.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I might get my hand slapped for this but in your case it should be okay to use the MaxiWire for the repair. I agree with the other guys - keep the polarity straight. MaxiWire is usually Black and Red. Hunter ID wire is Blue and Red. The "twist" in the Hunter wire helps keep the signal clean and provides a slight bit of surge resistance. (Ever see phone wire? It is twisted for that reason.)

Make sure you use a splice connector on the 2-Wire path that is rated for 600 Volts. Hunter recommends the 3M DBR/Y-6, since the constant voltage (35 V) will break down the sealant used in the standard (24 VAC) connectors. It will thin out or even liquify over time. Regular 24 VAC DBY connectors can be used on decoder-to-solenoid splices.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your responses. I will post if there are any issues when I get this installed.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

One last thing. You can order 1,000 feet of wire by adding "FT" to the model number. Example: ID1ORGFT will get you 1,000 feet of Orange Hunter ID wire. 14 Gauge. Leave off the "FT" and you get a 2,500 foot spool.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had heard that the twist of the wire would help "throw off" the surge into the ground rather than back to the controller. Where's Dee and Dave when we need an upsell?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
I had heard that the twist of the wire would help "throw off" the surge into the ground rather than back to the controller. Where's Dee and Dave when we need an upsell?
And i have always been under the impression that preventing communication crosstalk was the reason for the twisted pair configuration.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Jim is correct. Twisted wire is used because the ACC uses constant 2-way communication between the decoders and the controller. The twist helps keep the signal clean and prevent outside interference like high voltage power lines nearby.
And Sprinkus is correct. There is a very slight amount of surge resistance afforded by twisted wires, but it is pretty minimal. Preaching to the choir but that's where inline surge arrestors tied to a 10-ohm ground (or less) is way more effective.
(Side Note: Ha! I'll have to give Dee and Dave a hard time, but it's more fun if you do it!)

JohnsonsLawnManagement - I hope you made a successful repair. Thanks for posting the question.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are a valuable resource Rod, the forum is lucky to have you as a member.