Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscape Fabric

If someone with plants already in a flower bed wanted you to install landscape fabric, would you need to remove all of the plants first? Or could you cut out tr spots where plants are and go over them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should educate your customer that landscape fabric is not necessary in any areas except under stone or gravel areas. But I'm guessing by your post that gravel is not present, so don't waste your time with landscape fabric. It does not work and makes weeding more difficult because the weeds will root into the fabric.

However, if that's of no concern to you, then just cut around the plants.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had to try and explain what chevy is saying to a customer that it really doesn't to anything for you (she wanted it under mulch that we were installing) I tried to explain to her that the weeds would go straight through it and root within the fabric making weeding almost impossible. She didn't like that and told me to put down the fabric anyways. The weeds there now look terrible but I did what the customer asked and got paid for it. As for your question, I would just cut holes for the plants.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks I didn't know that. I will definitely mention it to the person that asked me... And to my wife that wants to lay it in under the mulch in our bed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a waste of money. Weeds will still root in the material above the fabric, especially if it's soil or old decomposing mulch. Then the roots can grow into the fabric and make it a pain to pull. Most people think that fabric means no maintenance. This is not the case.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
I had to try and explain what chevy is saying to a customer that it really doesn't to anything for you (she wanted it under mulch that we were installing) I tried to explain to her that the weeds would go straight through it and root within the fabric making weeding almost impossible. She didn't like that and told me to put down the fabric anyways. The weeds there now look terrible but I did what the customer asked and got paid for it. As for your question, I would just cut holes for the plants.
You need to understand that just because the customer ask for something to be done does not mean you should do it. Some customers are willing to ignore common sense and professional advise on a regular basis. Avoid stupid and stubborn customers. Regardless how much work you can generate from them,these customers can and will drag you and your business down, if you let them. I have walked away from many jobs because of the S and S customer syndrome.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the area is ugly with weeds now(lazy neglectful client) and the client thinks that mulch is going allow her to remain lazy and neglectful,,, it is going to be YOUR FAULT,,, when the myth fails...
I agree with easy-lift, walk away...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If the area is ugly with weeds now(lazy neglectful client) and the client thinks that mulch is going allow her to remain lazy and neglectful,,, it is going to be YOUR FAULT,,, when the myth fails...
I agree with easy-lift, walk away...
So very true!
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
You need to understand that just because the customer ask for something to be done does not mean you should do it. Some customers are willing to ignore common sense and professional advise on a regular basis. Avoid stupid and stubborn customers. Regardless how much work you can generate from them,these customers can and will drag you and your business down, if you let them. I have walked away from many jobs because of the S and S customer syndrome.
easy-lift guy
I completely agree. This story was from 7 years ago when I was 12 years old and was just starting out so I took the work I could get. As for now, if they don't take my advice on the fabric, I walk away and don't deal with it because I know what will happen. When the weeds grow through the fabric and are a pain to pull out it will be my fault because I installed the fabric wrong...
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

kidmows,
Also remember that these geotextiles keep the moisture at the top of the soil line or better below the fabric. This promotes vertical--root twisting of the existing plants. I have pulled up pro-quality fabric that had adventitious root fibers entwined. The damage to the shrubbery was immense. The seed matter only grew on top of the fabric after a couple seasons.