Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I looked at both, went with the TT with BB Briggs, got worried about the 2 speed trans, and feel like its a better view on the TT. Just felt strange on the Cheetah but maybe that would change with more use.

I have to had any maint issues on my TT other then remove oil filter first, then its easier to reach the drain plug.
Echo trimmers Stihl blowers
Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I am just going to use the mower on my property - in the beginning. However, I have always entertained the idea of cutting grass professionally, either part-time on the side, or full time. I am a general practice lawyer and really get tired of dealing with some of the crazy people I see on a daily basis. I grew up on a farm and the best memories I have are of cutting hay every day in the summer. The rest of the farming- not so much. But, I do love cutting grass and the peacefulness of it. So, I don't want to base my decision on me just cutting my grass at home. I want the best bang for my buck.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Go for it.

It's far better to get a mower a little bigger than needed , rather than get something that will be too small down the road.....

Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
Go for it.

It's far better to get a mower a little bigger than needed , rather than get something that will be too small down the road.....

Intelligent statement...When in doubt, always go stout...
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First let me say you're making an excellent choice going with Scag. I've owned TT's and Tiger Cats and they all do an excellent job. We bought 3 Cheetahs this season and the ride is just so nice. Of course the Velocity deck is on all of them so I know my cut quality is excellent. For me I'd take the Cheetah simply for the ride. Our Scags have the 31 Kawasaki and it has plenty of power for what we cut. Good luck and enjoy your Scag whatever you end up with.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR Landscaping View Post
First let me say you're making an excellent choice going with Scag. I've owned TT's and Tiger Cats and they all do an excellent job. We bought 3 Cheetahs this season and the ride is just so nice. Of course the Velocity deck is on all of them so I know my cut quality is excellent. For me I'd take the Cheetah simply for the ride. Our Scags have the 31 Kawasaki and it has plenty of power for what we cut. Good luck and enjoy your Scag whatever you end up with.
RTR- so side by side you would pick the Cheetah over the TT if you didn't already have a TT in your fleet? Is the ride that much better over the suspension seat? The majority of people point toward the TT so do enjoy hearing opinions in favor of the Cheetah as well.

I can get the Cheetah around $1400-$1500 cheaper. Also, I would be going with the Kawi on both. 31hp on Cheetah and 29 (I think) fuel injected on the TT.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithlaw View Post
RTR- so side by side you would pick the Cheetah over the TT if you didn't already have a TT in your fleet? Is the ride that much better over the suspension seat? The majority of people point toward the TT so do enjoy hearing opinions in favor of the Cheetah as well.

I can get the Cheetah around $1400-$1500 cheaper. Also, I would be going with the Kawi on both. 31hp on Cheetah and 29 (I think) fuel injected on the TT.
If a good ride was your priority and you have a rough property then I would suggest cheetah. If prop is nice and smooth, prob would recommend the TT
Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Gotcha, thanks for the responses guys. I am going to pull the trigger today. I'm going to slide the seat Forward on the cheetah and see if it makes a huge difference with the tanks. If not, I am probably going with the TT.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

New Tiger owner here. I'm a single property owner/mower like you.
I used a Scag Wildcat for 8 years, & decided to upgrade for the improved deck (and because I like new machinery).
I opted for the 29 Kohler because the 27 Kohler on my Wildcat was flawless for 8 years. I don't feel the 29 is underpowered at all, even in tall wet roughage like I've been mowing the past month.

I did like the suspension on the Cheetah, but to me there is a heck of a lot more to go wrong on that machine. The big generous hydro system on the Tiger sold me. I own a business that runs the hell out of Front End loaders & forklifts 6 days a week, so I'm pretty well versed in equipment.

I want a machine that will last long into my retirement, & then some.
I firmly believe the Tiger will do that.

My 3 acres has some nice lawn, lots of trees & beds to mow around, a few steep area, and quite a bit of rough stuff. The Tiger handles it all very comfortable, & goes plenty fast for me.

It will also dig one heck of a divot if you get reckless when the ground's soft
Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have demo'd both and I liked the cheetah- its just the TT has been out a lot longer- dealers will have more parts in stock for that unit-shaft drive is really nice. and resale value on a TT is great. Tons of guys on here with more than 3000hrs on them. Flawless cut. whats not to like besides the ride lol Get the suspension seat and that'll help

Tags
cheetah , scag , turf tiger