Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Carb problems on Scag

I have a Scag with the 26hp B&S. Its just the Freedom Z so not the commercial mower. I love the mower but it has recently developed a problem. It would not start, it acted like it wasnt getting fuel so cleaned the carb and all was good. Also put new filter on while I was at it. Went to cut again and it did it again. Cleaned carb it was fine again. Went to cut again and it did the same thing. It runs fine and starts fine after the carb clean but after it sits a day or two it wont crank. It has been to the dealer and they just cleaned the carb. It has fresh gas and was doing this before this gas. I have got 2 new filters I am going to put on and hopefully help catch any debri. I am getting tired of taking it apart every time I need to cut grass. What is causing this and how can I stop it?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When it won't start.....is it getting gas to the carb? What kinda fuel pump is on the unit as well?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The briggs 2 barrel carbs dont like carb cleaner..orings swell and clog it..
You may want to install an inline fuel shutoff...shut the fuel off and run it dry when done mowing...
Might help.???
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes it is getting gas to the carb as far as from the line. I can dump some gas down the throat and it will run. It also has a cutoff I can use. I have had the mower since 2010 and never had this problem.

The bowl on the bottom that has the solenoid to shutoff fuel when the mower is cutofff, should that have fuel in it? Last time I messed with it thinking the solenoid may been stuck the bowl was empty. It has been to the dealer twice now and they just cleaned the carb and all was good until I ran it once then put it up..both times.

The fuel pump is the vacuum operated kind. It has 3 lines..one from the tank, one to the motor, and one to the carb. Just the standard plastic vacuum operated pump.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody?

Is there something like a needle that would stick and keep fuel from the line from getting to the carb? Like I said it runs with fuel dumped into it just not off the tank.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. Have you drained the tank and looked in he bottom of it? Is the shut off clogged as well?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McCrary View Post
Anybody?

Is there something like a needle that would stick and keep fuel from the line from getting to the carb? Like I said it runs with fuel dumped into it just not off the tank.
To answer yer question, yes, there is. It's called the inlet needle, which is acted upon by the float and fuel level in the bowl.

If you unscrew the fuel solenoid outta the bowl, then gas should drain out.
If not, then ya either got a stuck inlet needle not allowing the gas to enter the bowl, or ya got a fuel pump/line issue.

......AMF!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, it is pumping plenty of fuel when I unhooked the fuel line and turned it over. Last time I took the bowl off it was bone dry so I am assuming this inlet needle is my cause of my problems.