Register free!

Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good eye DVS.

rj are you using poly sand or play?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm tired of carrying my big old 14" target so I bought this for small jobs and to run two on big jobs.

I'm still using play sand, haven't had anyone want to pay for poly yet. It's not real big here. I agree I need to clean better but sometimes you gotta run and gun
Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We haven't use regular sand in years... The price of poly sand is built into every job we do

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I'm tired of carrying my big old 14" target so I bought this for small jobs and to run two on big jobs.

I'm still using play sand, haven't had anyone want to pay for poly yet. It's not real big here. I agree I need to clean better but sometimes you gotta run and gun
Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I offer it as an option, they look into it and say just use sand. On my end, it seems like more time on the job. Why bother? Sell them what they want
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post

RJ, RJ, RJ........

Very disappointing.

"It's not big here". Seriously?? You run your business based in what contravtor joe smoe does???? And then you post threads of fly by night Craigslist ads???

Dude, get rid of that mentality, an get rid if it now.

YOU GRAB THE BULL BYBTHE HORNS AND YOU SET THE STANDARDS. Do NOT worry about what's "big". YOU MAKE IT BIG. YOU!!!

Play sand???? For real?????? I bet the Craigslist fly by nighters do not even use play sand.

No, poly sand is NOT a must. Interlocking pavements were around long long long before polysand. Before poly sand was around I used #2 Silica sand. Bone dry, sweeps in quickly. Works great.

Do not offer customers a choice of sand. If you offer them choices - of course they're going to want the less costly. You set the standards. You live by those standards.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS you truly missed your calling-or maybe not?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
DVS you truly missed your calling-or maybe not?
One doesn't slide through a severe recession by the skin of his teeth with no foreclosure, no repossessions, and then rebound stronger than ever, by his good looks.

This forum has folks of all sorts of success. All sorts of talent. Pay attention to what we write. learn it. And do it!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just for you, I'll price my next job including poly so I can get one under my belt.

However, we all offer options. I only push one brick manufacturer to make the choice easier, but they have cheaper brick and more expensive. The expensive looks nicer, 90% choose that. So to say they always take the cheap route is not true. I sell on my base prep and cut quality etc just like you do. Most tell me I'm not the cheapest. But if they don't see the benefit of poly, even if the difference is $150, nobody will go for it.

Is poly really the standard or just the new kid on the block? I've gone to look at the back patio and the guy who did the front walk used poly and the homeowners said it was crap. Still has weeds and ants etc. I've heard this about ten times.
just speaking from what I've seen. like I said, I haven't installed poly yet but I've secretly hoped for one just so I can say I've done it
Old 07-13-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Poly sand is NOT intended as a vegetation inhibitor, nor has it ever been. It's intended to keep the sand from washing out of the joints. Period.

No need to secretly hope to use poly sand, just use it. One bag will cover 60-80 sf.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Poly sand is NOT intended as a vegetation inhibitor, nor has it ever been. It's intended to keep the sand from washing out of the joints. Period.

No need to secretly hope to use poly sand, just use it. One bag will cover 60-80 sf.
How did you obtain this secret information?