Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Forcing a hyper green lawn [cool season] in hot weather high N + more water...?

.....and let's not forget many of these clients want it mowed short...well below 3".

What damage if any is being done to the plant itself beyond being chemically dependant and in many instances rampant thatch development.....?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cant you just put iron down
Old 07-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Sponsor

You are dooming the lawn to burning itself out. Carefully apply liquid iron.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
.....and let's not forget many of these clients want it mowed short...well below 3".

What damage if any is being done to the plant itself beyond being chemically dependant and in many instances rampant thatch development.....?

Inhibiting root development.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Inhibiting root development.
Well....isn't root development what happens during Spring and Fall...?

There is a Purdue turf tip that implies that yes higher mowing heights through the full spring does promote deeper roots thus...the grass has more to work with during dryer hotter weather....? However on the other hand raising mowings heights in hot weather can in fact strain limited roots...?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Professional baseball fields do just that...very green and short cut.
Of course, they have professional care and cut three times per week. Top-quality golf clubs do about the same. Top-quality grasses that are naturally dark green and will tolerate short cut, will do fine.

And yes, longer leaf blades will transpire more water.

And yes, high soil temperatures result in shorter roots. Likewise low oxygen levels--and high levels of carbon dioxide in the soil both damage roots. You need water, but do not flood the soil as that will force the air out of the soil.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It never stops in my opinion but spring and fall are the primary growth periods that we know. It slows during summer but it IS going on. P and K will aid the slow growth in repairing damaged tissue year round. I see it all the time in my area. I've had customers drop roots 4" to 5" more June thru August accomplished simply by raising the mowing height 2" and two apps per month of K at 1#/1000. Especially under heavy rain conditions. I saw it. I also imagine summer weeds, grassey and broadleaf developed roots over summer. Why would turf grass roots differ? Humates baby humates.

Last edited by turfmd101; 07-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Professional baseball fields do just that...very green and short cut.
Of course, they have professional care and cut three times per week. Top-quality golf clubs do about the same. Top-quality grasses that are naturally dark green and will tolerate short cut, will do fine.

And yes, longer leaf blades will transpire more water.

And yes, high soil temperatures result in shorter roots. Likewise low oxygen levels--and high levels of carbon dioxide in the soil both damage roots. You need water, but do not flood the soil as that will force the air out of the soil.
Since I have been mowing my own grass and that of a few clients at 4.5" ....I should consider dropping the mowing height to loose less water at the expense of less photosynthesis....?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not believe that long grass transpires more water than it holds,,, at a higher percentage rate than short grass would transpire,,, relative to what it holds...
When I see short grass turn brown after 2 days of burning sun and compare long grass curling its leaves like corn does,,, and turning that sickly bluegreen color if imagine that the bluegreen is better than the brown...

Besides the long grass shading the soils better,, I believe it helps regulate the movement of water through the plant during stress times...
JMO...
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kiril has discussed this at length in the past and posted many articles.

The short version is that the height of the cut in large part determines how deep the roots will go. YES there are a million other considerations and this is a very, very short version of it all.

But if you mow at 2", the roots are probably around that depth, if you mow at 3" they are about 3" deep. Watering, fertilizer and other practices have a huge impact.

But the gist is that deeper roots are able to access water below the surface, allowing for more drought resistance. Root growth slows greatly in hot weather, but roots are always trying to regenerate.