Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how long

got a quick question, how long should one stay off a driveway with a car after it is seal coated. longer that 24 hrs? thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

48 hours is ideal but the longer the better. Is it coal tar?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure what was used. not to waste your time (maybe should of asked in off topic but to late now) but have a friend who rents and the owner had seal the parking area and afterwords told her give it 24 hrs. so being a little curious as recently had a lawn care cust. who had his driveway done, was wondering bout how long afterwords for future reference as to it being be ok to take mower's and equipment across. was thinking least 2 days or more, thanks. btw-coal tar seal mentioned sounds like it would take awhile.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not wasting my time at all, I am getting over minor foot surgery for the next week. Last week we opend a parking lot after 12 hours, but we put the additive in to dry it. Most of my lots are open up after 24 hours, residential driveways I like to see them sit for 48 hours or longer that just me.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

It depends on how many factors on when you can drive on it. Depends on what type of product was used and if there were any additives to make it dry faster. The weather plays a huge role as well. Humidity and temperature. Also depends if the area was in direct sunlight or if it was shaded.

A full 24 hours and it should be dry. If anything, heavy trucks or trailers might mark up the seal a little bit but it will fade over the course of 1-2 weeks. I would go ahead and say after 24 hours it is good to go. Of course longer the better but when time is critical it would be fine after 24 hours.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

appreciate the help all. sealcutter, had big time foot injury last yr. what a depressing and painful injury that was, still not right. anyway, hopefully it's minor, good luck on it and a speedy recovery.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problem, this is my other foot and we should be good to go after this. I am never on here at this time we are so busy now, but I plan on running Z today to stay off of it, also give my young son a hard time all day.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

you can also check to see if it's dry with a simple power steering test.. but mostly your question depends on the weather during application and drying, and of course the type of sealer used (asphalt emulsion, asphalt cutback, coal tar) and lastly the thickness of the layer