Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Flow sensor on unions

I have a fun resi install 120 psi static, 30 gpm at 60psi dynamic. My question is how do you install your flow sensors. I would like to install this next one on unions. Hunter reps have told me this is a bad idea. I can't see any issues with this as the union is full port straight through and a bad glue joint would cause more turbulance. I searched and saw a sensor for calsense on brass unions on a old thread. I will try and post pics next week.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Research your question a little more. Rain Master & Data Industrial specs call for "un-obstructed flow" on both ends. Why put unions in anyway? Everything can be serviced from the top.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
I have a fun resi install 120 psi static, 30 gpm at 60psi dynamic. My question is how do you install your flow sensors. I would like to install this next one on unions. Hunter reps have told me this is a bad idea. I can't see any issues with this as the union is full port straight through and a bad glue joint would cause more turbulance. I searched and saw a sensor for calsense on brass unions on a old thread. I will try and post pics next week.
We did a 2" Data Industrial PVC flow sensor with a couple of unions. We put about 24" of SCH 80 PVC on either side of the sensor between the sensor and the union. Didn't seem to have any issues with it. Data Industrial calls for a minimum of 10 times the pipe diameter in length on the downstream side of the sensor and 5 times the pipe diameter in length on the up stream side of the sensor.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Research your question a little more. Rain Master & Data Industrial specs call for "un-obstructed flow" on both ends. Why put unions in anyway? Everything can be serviced from the top.
Like Mike mentioned, be sure to follow the manufactures instructions. Each are different, but the reason a specific amount of straight pipe is required before an after the sensor is to avoid flow deviations that effect the sensor readings.

We have installed close to 100 flow sensors and they are extremely accurate, very helpful and we wish we could have them on all of our jobs.

Once you use them especially with a central the amount of data retrieved is amazing and I cannot tell you how many times we use the flow sensor to test for various concerns from the office without having to go to the site. I am not saying regularly schedule service is not needed, it is just something you will learn using the flow sensors over time.

I do the like the new Baseline Flow Sensor, Master Valve and Decoder all in one units. (Hydrometer)
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know Hunter's is 10 times the dia. of the pipe. As to why put it on unions it is more of a addon for later, insert a blank piece of pipe between unions. Those baseline hydrometers look pretty complex.