Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plantscape,

I haven't had a chance to comment on your thread in the past but I just wanted to let you know that your work is inspirational. You are a true professional. And, on a side note, I absolutely love your truck!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLUS LAWN CARE View Post
Plantscape,

I haven't had a chance to comment on your thread in the past but I just wanted to let you know that your work is inspirational. You are a true professional. And, on a side note, I absolutely love your truck!
I'm going to have to take some meds to get my head swelling under control. Thanks.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chapin

I have not used this particular Chapin sprayer but though I would give it a try. I like the top handle and having the pump cylinder inside the tank.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just put top dressing info on my website with Youtube links and other info this year. I blow away my competition ABC Environmental Services and Emerald Lawns for content. I'm in the Austin, TX market which is huge but we are lucky to have little competition. Few are willing to spend on a top dresser that can only be used for a portion of the year.

I'm was on the top of page two of search results for Google but with just a little traffic from views on the Organics part of Lawnsite I crept to to page one. I wanted to see what others thought of the top dressing part of my site http://plantscapesolutions.net/top-dressing.html. I want to get more views so I can creep up page one even more. If you have ever pondered top dressing or want to better understand the benefits and how it works this should be some useful info.

Between top dressing and holiday lighting I created about $65K in off season sales. I really like to double this to $130K in the next few years. Drought issues tend to effect the rest of my business negatively but they actually help drive the sales of the top dressing.

I want to get into landscape lighting more proactively as well.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You do great work truly amazing! Quick question do would you do top dressing on st. augustine grass? Or can you?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
You do great work truly amazing! Quick question do would you do top dressing on st. augustine grass? Or can you?
St. Augustine probably see's the fastest results because it has such shallow roots. The top dressing first stimulates the microbial activity at the surface and then works it's way deeper over time.

I have top dressed St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bermuda, and Buffalo. Bermuda and especially Tiff have higher nutrient needs and if they are planted on loam which tends to be the norm top dressing is a must. Top dressing can actually double the density of common Bermuda and almost trick people into thinking it's Tiff or Celebration Bermuda.

I have one customer who lives in close to a three million dollar home who is very conservative with yard care. He actually push mows his 20,000 sq. ft. lawn himself. His beds have not seen mulch in over two years. I was able to get him to invest over $2000 to top dress his Bermuda/Zoysia lawn last year. After seeing the results it was much easier to get him to spend around $1500 to do another lighter round this year.

People with the worst lawns tend to be the best clients because the results are very in your face obvious. People with nice lawns to start with don't always scrutinize the lawns enough to see the results and they don't manage their irrigation controller enough to yield the water savings.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Awesome work David.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
St. Augustine probably see's the fastest results because it has such shallow roots. The top dressing first stimulates the microbial activity at the surface and then works it's way deeper over time.

I have top dressed St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bermuda, and Buffalo. Bermuda and especially Tiff have higher nutrient needs and if they are planted on loam which tends to be the norm top dressing is a must. Top dressing can actually double the density of common Bermuda and almost trick people into thinking it's Tiff or Celebration Bermuda.

I have one customer who lives in close to a three million dollar home who is very conservative with yard care. He actually push mows his 20,000 sq. ft. lawn himself. His beds have not seen mulch in over two years. I was able to get him to invest over $2000 to top dress his Bermuda/Zoysia lawn last year. After seeing the results it was much easier to get him to spend around $1500 to do another lighter round this year.

People with the worst lawns tend to be the best clients because the results are very in your face obvious. People with nice lawns to start with don't always scrutinize the lawns enough to see the results and they don't manage their irrigation controller enough to yield the water savings.
Thanks for all the info. Since i've read your thread it's gotten me thinking about doing it. I'm just starting out but maybe later in the future, it would set me apart from everyone down here where I live which would be the best thing for me.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I have not used this particular Chapin sprayer but though I would give it a try. I like the top handle and having the pump cylinder inside the tank.
That's the one we have.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
That's the one we have.
I peeked at your thread. You need to try No Spill gas cans. I think the best deal is on Amazon. I don't know how the shipping was so cheap for bulky items but the last fours cans I purchased were the cheapest at Amazon. Horizon Irrigation at the second best price locally. Other gas can CARB or pre-CARB really suck compared to the push button No Spill.

It looked like you Velky was a knock off that doesn't rotate 360. That would drive me crazy.