Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM

The first thing he needs to do is call the sheriff or Chief of Police and find out what the laws are concerning writing bad checks are in his city or town. Let them advise him on what to do next. This is just not getting paid. He has a bad check. I imagine a officer showing up at this woman's door with the teen would do much more good than a certified letter. I bet she has a bunch of certified letters in the landfill. Her mistake was writing that check
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
Writing bad checks is a serious crime. Write her a certified letter that you plan on contacting the DA and state about her check writing habits. Use that as leverage to get your money.

Yes it is. It is a criminal offense. Here we can charge $25 extra if check bounces. We have a local county office that deals with bounced checks w/the State atty Office. Surely you have something like that where you live. Go after her. Befriend a local lawyer & have him write up a demand letter for payment. If not, then sue her in small claims court. Never ever forgive debts owed from lazy sorry inexcusable deadbeat people like this lady. They especially need to be held accountable.

Glad your doing so well as a young businessman. You have a great work ethic that will take you far in life! Please ignore those here who are critical because they're just jealous of a prosperous 16 yr old
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I work at a law enforcement agency, here's what I greatly suggest... it is a strong suggestion.

Take a drive to your local police department, ask to speak to an officer. Bring your contract, the bad check information and have a sit down honest discussion with an officer. You might need to have your parents come with you since you're not 18 however you may not, local laws would be the deciding factor. The police officer would be able to give you the best information as far as if you can take it anywhere.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I greatly appreciate everyone's replies. Means a lot! I plan on sending a certified letter out tomorrow, but what should it say exactly? I'm not exactly sure how to word the letter. My next step will be the trip to the police office. This lady lives in a different city, so should I visit that police office or mine? Or does it matter?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I think the contract is worthless since you're 16
An adult can not hold a minor to a contract. So he can break it.

However as an adult I believe the adult customer can be held by this 16 yo.

Best place is for him to ask a lawyer.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlade View Post
I greatly appreciate everyone's replies. Means a lot! I plan on sending a certified letter out tomorrow, but what should it say exactly? I'm not exactly sure how to word the letter. My next step will be the trip to the police office. This lady lives in a different city, so should I visit that police office or mine? Or does it matter?

City where the check bounced.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlade View Post
You go to the Police first. Then you will know what to say in the letter. We don't know the laws are in your city or the one where she resides.

Tags
check , client , contract , non paying , payment