Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
dodge has a common rail cp3 set up, but also utilizes a lift pump in the tank to feed the cp3. you could(and probably should) add an airdog to help with this. get the setup that has filters and everything and you'll be good to go. however, i do remember reading that lots of guys are having problems with airdog, do your research, i think FASS makes a system also
Yep,
Technically the cp3 injector pump has it's own lift pump included in the form of a built in georoter pump that primes the high pressure piston pump. It's a pretty reliable system but an electric lift pump simplifies things like fuel filter changes. It makes sense for the dura max to get air in the line with a leaking hand primer so hopefully the cp3 is fine and not on the way out. If you do go to an electric lift pump just make sure you get one that is flowable when it fails - that way you won't be stuck on the side of the road.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This little part ended up being the reason I was losing prime on the diesel. Cost about $160 and took about 20 minutes to put in. Saved about $300 over what chev would probably charge.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would still look into an aftermarket lift pump/filter set up especially if you are out of warranty. you win either way. filter the fuel down to 3 micron absolute will keep your injectors happier and take some stress off the cp3 with the added lift pump.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
I would still look into an aftermarket lift pump/filter set up especially if you are out of warranty. you win either way. filter the fuel down to 3 micron absolute will keep your injectors happier and take some stress off the cp3 with the added lift pump.
You are absolutely correct I am puttig air dogs on both our diesels this winter I seen the light. When I was at chev the other day they were putting a new diesel engine in a truck.....$12,000 out the door. The guy wasn't upset it had 276,000 miles and they overheated it with a big load.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

just do your research first, i know there are lots of guys having problems with airdog brand on cummins trucks lately. also make sure that whatever system you go with you can use a different filter, CAT filters are much cheaper and they make one that filters down to 2 or 3 micron absolute. filters are tricky, you can find 2 or 3 micron filters all day long, but you have to look at the absolute value to know its true efficiency.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had FASS and Airdog. FASS is the original company and Airdog was started by the guys son. I've got to give FASS the nod out of the two.

You not only get better fuel filtration but you get the entrained air removed from the fuel so the injectors are better lubricated. It's also supposed to be good for 6% more power and mpg's. You also get a second fuel/water separator.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/