Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, I don't care for it. We did roadside work on a major highway property yesterday, there's about 300' of frontage and all has to be trimmed due to rocks and it's in a 55mph zone.

As I've stated before, most people will slow down and hug the yellow line if they can, but you get these brats in their late teens.... ugh.... I'd love to throw a rock through their back glass...
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
i worry about getting a ticket doing that
You need to grow a pair of balls and stand up to for your rights. Don't take their BS, they work for you!

Sometime ago I saw a safety test for arborists that spelled out where, how many and how far in front and behind your equipment and work zone you were required to place your cones in the street and sidewalks. Not sure if it was based on OSHA or some other requirement. Point is it was required.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Member

had a scary situation happen to me last year. was blowing the main entrance of commercial account with back facing busy hwy. a small car clipped me with his side mirror. knocked me down but luckily was ok. driver didnt stop so I still have his side mirror as a reminder to my crew. be safe mates!

WAR EAGLE!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Educate and remind your workers. Everyday you need to be reminding everyone about safety. It's not a big deal to be safe, better than being dead.

My advice comes from my time as a worker and not as an owner. I used to hang 60 feet over a couple of bread mixers for Wonderbread- IBC actually. We had to clean the I beams and every last nook and cranny of that mixing room. We were always painting up there too. It was a fun job for a 19 year old, union pay and support. Our factory was one of the first to be shut down, but it wasn't for not being clean or unsafe. Back then they said new equipment made 1 factory put out the same as 3 old ones.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Home Care View Post
I carry orange traffic cones on my truck, one for the front and one for the rear while stopped. It's amazing how people actually slow down when you put out cones. i have one account that I trim a roadside ditch, and when I do, I move the cones to in front of where I am working. They are too cheap and easy to put out. Maybe it's just the fact that fines double in work zones where I'm at, but maybe you guys should give it a try. It may solve your problem, and give you a bonus of looking more professional.

Just food for thought.
Ditto, In my experience orange cones are the best protector. (next to common sense & safety practices). People plow into police cruisers, ambulances and wreckers; all with lights flashing. I've not had a close call yet with my mowing rig and cones; however, had several close calls with my cruiser and all the lights flashing. Northern Tool has cones for $15.00 each. Get about 4 or 5, you won't regret it.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn2317 View Post
Ditto, In my experience orange cones are the best protector. (next to common sense & safety practices). People plow into police cruisers, ambulances and wreckers; all with lights flashing. I've not had a close call yet with my mowing rig and cones; however, had several close calls with my cruiser and all the lights flashing. Northern Tool has cones for $15.00 each. Get about 4 or 5, you won't regret it.
local laws around here require any "utility" or the such to place cones behind the vehicle when it's parked on a roadside. Each truck carries 3 cones and people do notice them.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Servicing along busy roads is just one of those things, you can take all the precautions finish the work and all is fine and right before you get into the truck to leave, you sneeze and have a massive cranial aneurysm and hit the ground dead. That said its hard not to be nervous when your feeling the rush of air and dust from a rig that just past within a few feet of your body. Try to live every day as if it is your last.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

We do several things to protect our guys.
1. They have been taught to trim from the grass side of the curbs and not to be in the gutters. This means they're on customer property and at least have a some cement between them and the texting teenager or gabbing soccer mom.
2. We always put our trailer gates back up on the job site. Left down, the trailers don't seem to be as visible to the inattentive driver. We have enough reflective tape on the back of the gate to be highly visible.
3. All our guys know their safety comes first. They've been instructed to leave notes or come back during less heavily trafficked times.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturfmgmt View Post
We do several things to protect our guys.
1. They have been taught to trim from the grass side of the curbs and not to be in the gutters. This means they're on customer property and at least have a some cement between them and the texting teenager or gabbing soccer mom.
2. We always put our trailer gates back up on the job site. Left down, the trailers don't seem to be as visible to the inattentive driver. We have enough reflective tape on the back of the gate to be highly visible.
3. All our guys know their safety comes first. They've been instructed to leave notes or come back during less heavily trafficked times.
That's one thing I've forgot about that we "modified" on our gates several years ago.... We've got the orange triangle (slow mowing vehicle) sign attached to the back of our gates, it does make them stick out a lot more, especially the mesh metal gates that are see through and somewhat blend in even while they are up.