Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

how long between cutting and anyone have info on this seed?

Ok, I've been fighting my lawn for quite a little while now as per this thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=388980

anyway, after getting the soil results and adding in lime/fertilizer, etc I've been able to get my backyard to almost completely cover. The front yard I would say I'm up to about 70% coverage. I can honestly say the amount of rain we've gotten this year has helped tremendously even though I know its probably also responsible for most of the stuff I've add leaching through past the grass roots lol. As a result I still have some areas that are fighting me a good bit but anyway....

I know half the key it get good established roots. I let the grass grow for almost 2 months at one point just to keep the ground covered to help shade and retain moisture and to (hopefully) allow roots to grow deeper as the grass grows.

I'm wondering how long is the average time people with sandy nutrient poor soils should let the grass grow between mowings?

Also, has anyone used this grass seed in the past? It says it grows low and gets really long roots which I think would be possibly beneficial to me?

http://www.cuttingedgegrass.com/

I'm just having a really hard time with the areas that arent wanting to grow. I even went to my parents house and took plugs of their grass which I've seen work miracles at other people's houses with the same issue. right now its in statis in the areas I placed it though as its only been about 2 weeks so who knows.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kentucky bluegrass in Charleston SC ? That's not going to happen for you. It's way too hot there, KBG doesn't do well until you are in the northern half of VA. You need to start thinking about warm season grass's like bermuda, zoysia or st. augustine.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

my st. augustine that I have in patches just sorta stays there and wont spread out. I got bermuda to grow pretty well in my backyard but still having issues in the front yard in areas.

I know I've had zoysia in seed mixes in the past but dont think I have any as it all died out. about the best I've found is bermuda.

is fescue a bad option here? My grandfather swears my parents yard is made up of it but my dad refutes this. I dont think either of them know what type of grass they have haha.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fescue is a terrible option. Any cool season grass (fescue, KBG, rye) in Charleston is a waste of time and money, it's way too hot there. If you don't have irrigation i woudn't even try to grow zoysia from seed. Bermuda is your easiest, cheapest and probably, your best choice.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

KY bluegrass barely grows in KY. Your too far south for it.