Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ranger Setup

So I have a route in which my son does in his ranger, all along the shore and places where we can barely move with the ranger let alone a crew cab and trailer. I still have to mount the blower rack but this was all done with things I had at my house. I know it looks bad but its very steady.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
So I have a route in which my son does in his ranger, all along the shore and places where we can barely move with the ranger let alone a crew cab and trailer. I still have to mount the blower rack but this was all done with things I had at my house. I know it looks bad but its very steady.

I love that setup! I am going to be getting a 2001 or so compact pick up truck as my first vehicle and have a set up somewhat like that. Two questions if you don't mind: How is the fuel economy? and can the ranger handle the weight of the walkbehind?
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Ryobi 24v Lithium Ion Trimmer/edger
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
I love that setup! I am going to be getting a 2001 or so compact pick up truck as my first vehicle and have a set up somewhat like that. Two questions if you don't mind: How is the fuel economy? and can the ranger handle the weight of the walkbehind?
Thanks! The Ranger handles the weight in the bed no problem! It sags a little bit but nothing major. I have actually been able t also to tow my full trailer(52 Z and 54 WB) with the 36 in the bed. As for Mileage I get 14 around town without a trailer, and 11 with. Not great but better than 8 with my full sized

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks! The Ranger handles the weight in the bed no problem! It sags a little bit but nothing major. I have actually been able t also to tow my full trailer(52 Z and 54 WB) with the 36 in the bed. As for Mileage I get 14 around town without a trailer, and 11 with. Not great but better than 8 with my full sized
Is it the engine a v6? Also, does your son mulch the clippings or side discharge? I don't think you could bag with a setup like that.

Thanks for answering my questions. The setup definitely conserves on fuel.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
Is it the engine a v6? Also, does your son mulch the clippings or side discharge? I don't think you could bag with a setup like that.

Thanks for answering my questions. The setup definitely conserves on fuel.
Its the 4.0 V6 witha 5 speed. There are 11 yards on that route, and 6 are bagged ad the others are side discharged. He takes one of those green barrels he dumps the clipping in front of the mower once its filled and the mower gets pushed back to sit on the tailgate and strapped from the back. If it was an 8 foot bed there would be no problem.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Its the 4.0 V6 witha 5 speed. There are 11 yards on that route, and 6 are bagged ad the others are side discharged. He takes one of those green barrels he dumps the clipping in front of the mower once its filled and the mower gets pushed back to sit on the tailgate and strapped from the back. If it was an 8 foot bed there would be no problem.
Oh, ok. I'm trying to decide if a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder is right for me. I have 20' push now. If i get more yards, I might buy a 32' walkbehind. I'll just have to see. Thanks for the awesome ideas and info about your setup!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definately go 6, 4's are just dogs. And I actually redit the setup today, ill throw a pic up tomorrow

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Townhouse, this setup is perfect for what landfakers needs for the route he uses it on. I would urge you to look around and find what suits your needs best and it probably won't be a 6cyl ranger. If you already had a ranger and were looking for ways to make it work that looks like a great setup but overall wouldn't be a wise choice to go out and buy one for this work. At 14mpg my 1/2 ton with a 5.3 V8 gets better mileage (the 4.0 rangers are great trucks but not known for great fuel economy to begin with). I'm not sure about the TBI motors but I had a 97 GMC with a vortec 350 that would get 20-21 highway and 16-17 in town with a light foot, you're probably looking at the same fuel economy as that ranger loaded and you have a half ton with the option of an 8 foot bed and the bed is wider. If you want a smaller truck look into the toyotas or Nissans, those were very underrated small trucks that got pretty good fuel economy. The Chevy S10 is pretty much even with the ranger, not overly useful with the 4 banger and doesn't get great fuel economy for a v-6. The only benefit of the 4.3 is that it is 100% identical to the legendary 350 minus 2 cylinders.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point TTS! I should mention that tis truck is surely not the do it all, and a half ton would be alot better asyou can set the bed like this, and pull a full trailer, no problem. Im just using what I have, I wouldnt specifically go out and buy this truck for lawn care.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I question is the hold down for your trimmer. Doesnt look very secure. When I built a diy trimmer rack on a trailer, I used a bungy on each hook. mounted below the trimmer, looped over the shaft, and back down to a mount. There was no movement on my rack.