Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Do you soak you trimmer line before using it?
Yes, I soak my line, and it helps. 13 28.26%
No, it doesn't matter. 29 63.04%
Yes, but just because it makes me sound cool that I do, and don't know if it helps. 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
I first read of this issue for the first time here on LawnSite some three months ago. I mentioned it to my Cheetah dealer, and my Stihl dealer. They both concur with the process. So I'm trying it.

BUT, do I soak the line for 24 hours before using, or do I just drop the contents of the line in water and forget about it until I need another twenty foot piece to re-spool the trimmer.

I used some unknown string (from Lowe's) for several years. I though it was a good idea buying a five pound package of this stuff. I quickly discovered the poor quality when I found my self bumping the trimmer "every few feet" (I trim 1450 feet every time I cut grass, no roundup).

Well, I finally used up all that awful string (five pounds of it), and am using my first spool of Maruyama M FORCE EDGE premium string. I find myself bumping the trimmer head far less often (that's a good thing right...???).

I discovered this Maruyama string while searching & reading this site about the ultimate string. So, I went out and purchased a half-pound package. I also have a one-pound package of Oregon Magnum Gator line (super twist) waiting to be used.

I have thought about using the two lines intermittenly throughout the summer until the M Force line is used up. That would give my quick info about which one is serving me best.

Any thoughts on this matter ...???

There's nothing wrong with leaving your line in the water other than the inconvenience of having to pull it out each time you re-spool. I just soak twice a year and it stays nice and pliable.

Do you mean you have the Gator Magnum Twist or the Gator Platinum Super Twist? There is a difference. GM twist is grey, Platinum ST is blue with a white core.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
There's nothing wrong with leaving your line in the water other than the inconvenience of having to pull it out each time you re-spool. I just soak twice a year and it stays nice and pliable.

Do you mean you have the Gator Magnum Twist or the Gator Platinum Super Twist? There is a difference. GM twist is grey, Platinum ST is blue with a white core.

Oppsss,

Gator Magnum Twist (Grey). The more I think about it, the more I feel that I should get another spool (Stihl Auto 25-2 head), and use each string intermittenly in hopes of being able to tell which string is serving me best. Something I feel compelled to do..... LOL..

A second spool $13 (just called a dealer)

Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you ever wonder if soaking your trimmer line will make it more pliable?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't see plastic absorbing much and what it did would be gone in seconds.

Anyone know if the adapters included with the Speed-Feed heads will fit a T-35 head? I would like to fit a T-35 to a Kawasaki.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
I can't see plastic absorbing much and what it did would be gone in seconds.

Anyone know if the adapters included with the Speed-Feed heads will fit a T-35 head? I would like to fit a T-35 to a Kawasaki.
This is where misinformation comes from- people who don't really know, but only go off their gut feeling instead of science. You're going off your gut here, but you are guessing incorrectly just like most folks do. I have been doing it for a long time now and it does work. Anyone willing to try it can clearly see it for themselves, especially when soaking an older spool, or one that has sat in the sun for weeks at a time. Fishermen know this about mono-filament line and have for years. Why it's so hard for lawn care folks to grasp is hard to understand IMO.

This is lifted directly from Oregon's website-

"Important Trimmer Line Information:
Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle, especially if subjected to heat and sunlight. To reduce brittleness, Oregon® strongly recommends that line be submerged in water for 24 hours."
Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
A: I can't see plastic absorbing much and what it did would be gone in seconds.

B: Anyone know if the adapters included with the Speed-Feed heads will fit a T-35 head? I would like to fit a T-35 to a Kawasaki.
A: I will not attempt to explain how or why it works. But it does work. (I keep mine wet in a 2.5gal paint bucket.

B: yes. The t-35 heads sold at our local Lowes for $23 come with adapters. I use them on Stihl's Echos and Redmax's.

As to why I soak, years ago I had a spool of green Stihl line that was pretty old. It simply shattered or welded near constantly. After soaking overnight in the rain It worked perfectly. Stuck it in a bucket with a lid and kept it wet. Been doing it ever since. Ever go fishin and notice that the first cast doesn't "fly" right? Same thing. Turns out it somehow regains some of its strength too. Try it. Not much to lose.

Last edited by GrassGuerilla; 07-16-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Do you ever wonder if soaking your trimmer line will make it more pliable?
Where have I heard that before?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A: I can cast farther with dry new line.
B: T35 heads do not include the correct adapters for Kawasaki trimmers.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I assumed (incorrectly) that the Kaw adaptor was the same as Echo. Same Veri head. Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump..........