Register free!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:46 AM
LawnSite Member

My favorite saw by far is dolmar/makita/wacker, for what it's worth...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Those are good saws, just can be tougher to get replacement blades for, depending on the area you are in.

I was wondering if anyone has used the new Cut off saw from Diamond Products- the Fast Cut SLR. They make the best Walk Behind saws, and some great blades, and it would be nice to get some info on it.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Then I guess that saw will be a good one that's tougher to get blades for (not sure how that figures..) as its most definitely a dolmar/ makita saw. Look at the design more closely.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

OK....Brain fart.....meant Replacement parts....

***hangs head and awaits bashing from DVS***
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl 021...older saw with a 16" bar. Well...the carb needs replaced. Had it cleaned last year and it made it through the remainder of the year. Used it twice this year and finally needs replaced. In my opinion...that's a good saw. The saw is older and that was the first I ever had to have work done to it. Since the saw is down, I went to buy a back up. Didn't want anything too expensive since...it was just a back up. I looked at getting another Stihl. Ummm...no thank you. Stihl is way over pricing themselves in my opinion. Since all of my other hand held equipment is Husqvarna, I decided to look at getting a Husqvarna chainsaw. And...after doing my own research...both customer feedback and physically holding many other brands...I went with the Husqvarna 450 Rancher with a 20" FarmTough bar. I love this saw! SO much power, not too heavy, etc. My only complaint...the amount of steps it takes to start this thing and it takes a couple pulls...but honestly...what chainsaw doesn't take a few pulls. I'll probably never own another Stihl after buying the Husqvarna.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers
Western UniMount Plow
Buyers Salt Spreader
www.facebook.com/yardatwork
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 400's and 2 420's stihl stihl and more stihl. My girlfriends uncle is a stihl mechanic at a local stone yard and works on all my stuff after hours. I just bought a mk electric saw for tight cuts and I seem to like it alot my cutoffs get a break from time to time now. different strokes for different folks I have never tried any other brand.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting topic. I talked with Todd some on this and I'll post my thoughts on this because I've walked both paths. We were die hard Stihl for many many years. 8 TS-410's or 20's. With the new ethanol it just screwed these saws up. We tried everything. Nothing worked. So we put them all on craigslist and they all sold in three days and I bought all husky's. Dealer loved me. Since then we have not had any real issues.

A good friend of mine gave me some advice on these cut off saws. He buys all new ones every two years. They get worked hard, as do ours. The stihls I sold went for 50% what I paid for them new. Good cut off saws will sell well if they are cleaned up and running.

Do the math. Spend $700 for a new Husky. Keep it two years and sell it for $350. That saw cost you $175 a year. That's pennies. They are pretty reliable over two years as well. If you keep running them and they go down that saw can eat up $175 a year in repairs or lost time real quick.

We will replace all of them next year. It's just one of those high maintenance items that need to be turned and we use ours pretty hard.

As far as which brand we are happy with the husky's at this point.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Interesting topic. I talked with Todd some on this and I'll post my thoughts on this because I've walked both paths. We were die hard Stihl for many many years. 8 TS-410's or 20's. With the new ethanol it just screwed these saws up. We tried everything. Nothing worked. So we put them all on craigslist and they all sold in three days and I bought all husky's. Dealer loved me. Since then we have not had any real issues.

A good friend of mine gave me some advice on these cut off saws. He buys all new ones every two years. They get worked hard, as do ours. The stihls I sold went for 50% what I paid for them new. Good cut off saws will sell well if they are cleaned up and running.

Do the math. Spend $700 for a new Husky. Keep it two years and sell it for $350. That saw cost you $175 a year. That's pennies. They are pretty reliable over two years as well. If you keep running them and they go down that saw can eat up $175 a year in repairs or lost time real quick.

We will replace all of them next year. It's just one of those high maintenance items that need to be turned and we use ours pretty hard.

As far as which brand we are happy with the husky's at this point.
Pretty sure it was NOT the ethanol. Gotta follow the starting instructions, and stihl works beautifully.

Careful ETW - if you post in this thread, you'll have a blade sales rep hounding the you-know-what out of you!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

We own Makita. Don't think the brand matters. The pull cords brake every year and they are all hard to start.

What does make a huge difference is using water for all your cuts and blowing out the air cleaners. We use good quality metal pump up spray cans like you use for diesel fuel when paving to spray water on the blade. Cuts the dust way way down, much safer for every one around and less dust in the air cleaners.

The water hook up's don't work over time but if still in tact than no need for spray cans. We also carry water with us if cutting is needed and water is not available. Same with floor saws always use water no matter what.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Pretty sure it was NOT the ethanol. Gotta follow the starting instructions, and stihl works beautifully.

Careful ETW - if you post in this thread, you'll have a blade sales rep hounding the you-know-what out of you!
I've had the same issues with stihl and also switched to husky, the fuel gummed up the carbs and even ate some of the plastic parts inside. I have not had these issues with the husky using the same fuel and oil mixture, (stihl synthetic with 89 octane from Sunoco). We also had this problem with Redmax, I'm pretty sure it's the fuel.