Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2003, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler Governor Problems

I have a Kohler Command CV13T hp on my Toro w/behind. The governor came loose on the shaft. I bought a repair manual and set it up according to the manual, and the governor still did not work correctly.

I took the mower to a repair shop and they got the enginer running properly until the blade engages. They advised the engine was low on torque, after a compression check they recommended that I buy a new engine @ $750.00

I plan to pick up the mower and get a second opinion. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? The Engine was running ok prior to the governor cam loose.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Govenor Issue

The govenor on those Kohlers is linked to the throtle. If they adjusted it down to far then the throtle isn't opening up enough to provide the power to drive the blades. Try holding the throtle open more when you engage the balde and see if that doesn't solve the issue. If it does it a simple adjustment to losen the clamp where the cam comes out and adjust the throtle arm.
Good luck
Old 08-28-2003, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

What happens when you engage the blades?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Kohler Governor

Thank you for your responses. I picked it up from the shop which is suppose to be a Kohler repair center. The Govenor/throttle is still out of adjustment. The technician told me he went to school on the engine, but he must have been asleep when they covered the adjustment. The advised that the compression was low and I needed to replace the engine. I advised the motor was running fine until the governor came loose. I also told them that it does not smoke or use oil. They then wanted to work on the valves. I took the mower home.

High speed is over 4000 rpm and when the blade engages, it bog down considerable. I have a 36" Toro so I know how they should operate. The mower was a used unit when I bought it earlier in the year so I don't know how it was taken care of. Any other
suggestions as to what I may try?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

First i would check the compression myself. If it was running and the governer was not working the engine could have rapped out and done some form of damage depending on how long it ran and at what rpm it ran. It could have slung the gov gear also, and thats why it will not adjust externally. I would check the comp first and check it with kohlers specs. If its low i would pull of the head and inspect the cylinder for damage and hot sopts and make sure the valves are seating fully.If the comp. is good i would try once more adjusting the gov to kohlers specs. Kohler should also give the specs at what rpm the engine should function at. You will need a digital tachometer to check it, and adjust the gov. tension spring and bring the rpm to spec. The gov system pretty darn basic it either works or its broke basically. I would go with the shops diagnoses and double check it first myself