Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Drip verse Spray

I have been recently getting back into irrigation repair. Used to do a LOT of system back 10 years ago. Times change and new products show up. So that brings me to the issue I have in mind.

Years ago we ran all drip irrigation around all the plants. Is that still the best way of watering plants?? I see a few landscapes around here with Rainbirds R-Van's watering landscapes. Does anyone have a general feeling one way or the other??

Did a search of the forums but didn't see anything recent discussing the difference. I do know location plays a large role in what works best. Living here in Nebraska the wind blows most afternoons and summer gets to be quite dry at times.

Any thoughts??

Timothy
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Around here the beds are redone 2-3 times a year. Drip tubing, micro-sprays gets wasted everytime. If you want it to last, sprays outside the beds shooting in is the only way.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have rolled out about a mile of Netafim so far this year.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To many squirrels and chipmunks in AL. They chew holes in drip tubing. We use all spray heads.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally hate drip...the last two customers that i have talked to ironically have requested sprays over drip because they never know if it's working or not and it takes forever to water...i only agree with drip when the beds are tight and overgrown and sprays aren't adequate...this is just my opinion, i've noticed some will strongly disagree

the only negative that i can think of is over spray against the house causing rot with siding, etc.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im a drip guy. Hate sprayers in beds. Against the house shooting out and too many plants get missed. Shooting in too much moisture against the house. Both ways , promote weed growth. Others will disagree.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends. If it's a bed with very tight flowers that are replanted every year, I prefer sprays with 12" heads. When it is a bed with shrubs, bushes, trees, tall ornamental grasses, I prefer drip.
One thing to consider. With the water restrictions we have here of two days a week watering with traditional overhead watering, there are NO restrictions for drip. So drip zones for trees/shrubs/etc, can water more than two days a week if needed. Even subsurface drip for turf is non-restricted.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Im a drip guy. Hate sprayers in beds. Against the house shooting out and too many plants get missed. Shooting in too much moisture against the house. Both ways , promote weed growth. Others will disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
It depends. If it's a bed with very tight flowers that are replanted every year, I prefer sprays with 12" heads. When it is a bed with shrubs, bushes, trees, tall ornamental grasses, I prefer drip.
One thing to consider. With the water restrictions we have here of two days a week watering with traditional overhead watering, there are NO restrictions for drip. So drip zones for trees/shrubs/etc, can water more than two days a week if needed. Even subsurface drip for turf is non-restricted.
Agreed! Sprays have no place in landscaped beds, with exception to ground cover and/or plants that stay below the riser pop height.

IMO, Netafim TLCV SDI grid or a heavily mulched surfaced laid grid. The effectiveness and efficiency of such a system is unmatched.