Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

More than a few folks out there just looking to get something for nothing too.
And if you ask me, this guy's going about it the wrong way.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For your average residential lawn I would try to be around $100 per customer. If he has contracts with them and you KNOW they won't kick you to the curb that number may be higher.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So he wants ~10k for 12 clients??
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

No there is no contracts and working for him for the rest of the season and he keeps the money as payment. I don't think so!! If he calls back and says the other guy backed out I will offer 40 percent of the total gross what can be made the rest of the season. All these clients lawns are vacation property's and are probley on a biweekly service. I don't know the price pre client but at $30 pre lawn twice a month is only $720. And we only maybe 3 1/2 months of service left this year. And comes to $2.520. Yes he is trying to get allot for nothing!!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleClutch View Post
No there is no contracts and working for him for the rest of the season and he keeps the money as payment. I don't think so!! If he calls back and says the other guy backed out I will offer 40 percent of the total gross what can be made the rest of the season. All these clients lawns are vacation property's and are probley on a biweekly service. I don't know the price pre client but at $30 pre lawn twice a month is only $720. And we only maybe 3 1/2 months of service left this year. And comes to $2.520. Yes he is trying to get allot for nothing!!
That's absurd. You do ALL the work, he keeps ALL the money? I'd offer based on how many cuts are left for the season. That offer would simply cover his time marketing and closing the sales.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't intend to derail this, but I'm curious... how does something like this work on the homeowner's end?

"Hello, Mr. Stevens. I'm selling my business and Jimmy from "We Cut Grass" has purchased my accounts. He'll be taking over my routes and I can assure you that he will do a great job."

WTF? As a homeowner, I'd tell you both to go pound salt. Shouldn't I be involved in the decision over who cares for my property?

I've never looked into it because quite frankly, there's no need for me to "buy" accounts. There are so many potential customers around, that I just can't wrap my head around the whole concept.
Just curious as to how it works out for the homeowner and for the "buyer" who may, or may not be well received by the new clients he just "bought".