Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
Guess I was wrong about the second gear thing. Im glad my 450 is a manual. My Chevy's never did that .
Not sure about older ones but the 4L60's they had in 1/2 tons in the late 90's would start in 2nd if you put it in 2 and used less than 50% throttle on take off. If you dug deep into the throttle it would kick to 1 but otherwise stay in 2.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Not sure about older ones but the 4L60's they had in 1/2 tons in the late 90's would start in 2nd if you put it in 2 and used less than 50% throttle on take off. If you dug deep into the throttle it would kick to 1 but otherwise stay in 2.
I never had a 4l60e in my trucks mine have all been a 4l80e never really noticed them to do that. Maby I'm just stomping on it too hard. Im going to give it a try in my 93 k2500 .
Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
I never had a 4l60e in my trucks mine have all been a 4l80e never really noticed them to do that. Maby I'm just stomping on it too hard. Im going to give it a try in my 93 k2500 .
Not sure if Tow mode is even an option on them but in tow mode it always starts in 1
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

No tow/haul on the 93 k2500 but I have it on the 01 silverado 3500 has tow/haul feature. Both trucks have a 4l80e. I just ran out to try the 2nd gear trick on both chevy 4l80e's and it appears that they both start out in first gear when shifter is placed in the second gear positon.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTmower View Post
Well looks like my truck is headed to the shop... A few weeks ago I thought adding a quart of tranny fluid solved my problems. Well today the truck took a turn for the worst. While pulling my trailer it started shifting really rough from 1st to 2nd. Then it almost wouldn't want to shift out of 2nd unless I took my foot off the gas. Then randomly the OVERDRIVE light on the shifter starting flashing. Next thing you know the tranny temp gauge starts rising. Thank god I was on my way to drop my trailer off. Once I disconnected my trailer and started to drive away the temp went back down to normally but the truck was still shifting roughly. Pulled into my driveway and went to put it in REVERSE and the truck wouldn't move. Tried going through the gears and it would only move forward but wouldn't go back. Turned the truck off and went back out a little while later and put it in reverse and the truck went backwards fine!!! Feel like I should get ready to shell out some $$$$$$$$$$$
sounds like what happened with my dads powerstroke. it lost reverse backing out of the driveway, only would engage if you slammed on the pedal. Then it wouldn't go over like 35mph, and that was at 2500 rpms! I've been around cars my whole life; we own a junkyard. but one thing I hate is trannys! I was told a flashing overdrive light is basically like a check engine light for your transmission.. don't know if this is true or not. Wasn't really the most reliable source.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well looks like my F250 will be getting a new tranny. Brought it to a local shop a friend recommended and they hooked it up to the computers. Said the tranny fluid was BLACKER then BLACK and the was only about 70 psi in the tranny and it should be at 100 psi.. Gave me a quote of $4K to which I quickly laughed and picked my truck up. Got another quote from my regular mechanic for $3k for a new FORD tranny with 3 yr/ 100,000 warranty.. Lesson learned, transmissions suck but if your going to be snow plowing and towing a 20ft enclosed trailer expect to replace one every now and then.
2007 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP 17hp
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
Echo T755-H Backpack plower
JRCO dethatcher
6x14' Big Tex Open Trailer
Little Wonder 10hp blower
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer
Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

In the future always change your tranny fluid at least once a year especially when hauling and plowing. When your plowing always come to a complete stop before switching from D to R and vise versa. Saves alot of wear and tear on a tranny. Ive got a 02 f-350 powerstroke with 215,000 that is on its original auto tranny and it shifts perfectly because I always change the fluid every year and its only plowed one winter so far but its hauled for half its life.

Hopefully for your wallets sake when you get the new tranny or rebuilt tranny that it lasts you a long time!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVL LLC View Post
In the future always change your tranny fluid at least once a year especially when hauling and plowing. When your plowing always come to a complete stop before switching from D to R and vise versa. Saves alot of wear and tear on a tranny. Ive got a 02 f-350 powerstroke with 215,000 that is on its original auto tranny and it shifts perfectly because I always change the fluid every year and its only plowed one winter so far but its hauled for half its life.

Hopefully for your wallets sake when you get the new tranny or rebuilt tranny that it lasts you a long time!!!
How many miles do you drive per year?