Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Clutch won't engage, no noise?

I have an Exmark Phazer with a 19hp Kaw that has 1600 hrs. Today the clutch dis-engaged during normal mowing. I was able to stop, check the connections and then it re-engaged and I was able to finish. The next stop it engaged fine and after one pass around the lawn, it dis-engaged and would not work again. This clutch has been used with kid gloves and never engaged at very high or very low speeds. When you turn the key on and pull the knob, you get no sound or click noise at all anymore like it used to do.

My question is: Is this what happens when they normally go bad or does this sound more like a broken wire or connector? I have never had any issues or symptoms until now.

Thank You for any Advise
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Possibly the pto switch.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1600 hours is pretty good for a clutch. Like Memphis said it could be the switch. Some clutches can be "rebuilt." Not sure about yours.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfman999 View Post
I have an Exmark Phazer with a 19hp Kaw that has 1600 hrs. Today the clutch dis-engaged during normal mowing. I was able to stop, check the connections and then it re-engaged and I was able to finish. The next stop it engaged fine and after one pass around the lawn, it dis-engaged and would not work again. This clutch has been used with kid gloves and never engaged at very high or very low speeds. When you turn the key on and pull the knob, you get no sound or click noise at all anymore like it used to do.

My question is: Is this what happens when they normally go bad or does this sound more like a broken wire or connector? I have never had any issues or symptoms until now.

Thank You for any Advise
Troubleshooting your issue would be best accomplished with a phone call. Please call us at 1-800-667-5296.
Exmark Customer Service
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Update

PTO switch tested good. Tech Services advised that it is likely the clutch. Ordered new one from the dealer. Now I have the nightmare of getting the old one off. Any tricks of the trade would be appreciated. Thank You