Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2003, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Frontpage help

In my last post I was suggesting you might want to consider buying a nice pre-made template. Right after I suggested that I came across a site here that did exactly what I had suggested which was use FrontPage and a nice template to make a really nice site. If you want to see a good example of what I am talking about check out www.hlandscape.com
Old 09-08-2003, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

FrontPage Tables

One of the problems with Tables is that you are designing your page on your own setting, say 1024x768 for example.

The problem is that when someone comes to your site with an 800 x 600 setting, it mya not look right.

In Front Page when making a table, when you are done making everything you want to make, right click on the table, properties, and change the specify height to a percentage instead of a number.. same with the width. Do this for each of the cell properties also.

Just a thought for ya!
Danny
Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: FrontPage Navigation

Quote:
Originally posted by Turboguy
To learn the program why don't you start with one of FrontPage themes.
I agree. If you learn how to use Frontpage, it is not a bad program.

Like Turboguy said, find a theme and start their. Modify the theme, this will take a little time.

One you modify the theme, the buttons, or links, and the header will follow you in everypage, just click on the Navigation button .

If you update front page online, you can get new themes free, they actually have quite a few.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Front Page

Danny had some good suggestions there on FrontPage. You do need to be careful when nesting tables that if you have the main table set for 100% that the other tables don't add up to more ( like 3 tables inside set for 40% each.

The advantage of doing it as Danny suggested is that you want your page to occupy the full screen without your viewer needing to move the scroll bar to see everything.

On themes, I don't know what happened to the link I gave a few replys ago in this thread, but I just noticed it no longer works.

I am in a little different end of the business than most of you but I do have about 5 sites created with FrontPage and with several hundred pages on the interent so I do have a little knowlege of FrontPage and am happy to pass along any of that where I can. If anyone is wording with FrontPage and has questions that they can't get an answer to here www.frontpagewebmaster.com is a really good source of help.

There are two options for using FrontPage themes or Templates. One is to use a standard theme that comes with FrontPage and of course is free. It is a good way to have a site up quickly and to learn about the navigation structure. If you just follow the tutorial that comes with Frontpage you can be functional in a few hours. Here is one of my sites using a standard (Free) Front page theme www.strawblowers.com

Another option is that you can go to a site such as PixelMill that I gave a url to in a previous post in this thread and buy a very first class professional template or theme for anywhere from Free to $ 50.00. You don't want to mess with the page layout much. Just add your information and photos and publish it. Here are two of my sites using templates purchased from PixelMill. I think these are pretty sharp looking and the one time cost is no big deal. Check out www.TurfSprayers.com and www.IceControlSprayers.com You can also find some pretty nice free templates just by doing a search for "free frontPage Templates"
Old 09-09-2003, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Turbo,

Question for ya?

During development, I always have a problem when i resize a table manually, the percentage gets changed to a fixed variable.

Anyway to set that,you must know what i mean

thx boss
Old 09-09-2003, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you "dragging" the edges of the table to the desired size? That has always, in my experienced, messed up the settings. Try setting the dimensions in the table properties box. Also make sure that any cells add up to the total setting. In other words if you have the inner cells adding up to more than 100% or if they are in pixels and the outer cell is set for 100% that can create a problem.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Got ya boss ..

Thanks,

Thats always been a pain, i ll try it..

I usually do flash..., then jump it into FP to center it and that stuff..

Thanks again..Danny