Register free!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

ICT Organics

I used on several of my lawns this year and nothing looks good. I am very frustrated with the product. I am going to have to slam these lawns with some fertilizer to get color to come in. I have been using the ICT Organics for 2 months and no change. Very upsetting.

Anyone else having problems?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Which ICT products have you used and what is your entire program?
Please provide timing of application, application rate and what you are applying for. I'll try to help you out.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigated or non-irrigated? What kind of grass? Fescue? Is it brown? Is it yellow? Disease?
Do you have a soil test? Soil pH?
Is growth slow? Can you mow it every second week?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawns are Irrigated on all but about 12.
Lawns looked yellow (a little brownish in some areas). I only did a soil test on my lawn as I know what my lawn has been through in the past unlike majority of my clients (long term) and the Soil pH did not change.

I would say growth is about the same as it would be normally. Hard to say with no real side by side. I have done everything the bottle says on Fescue grass. No am not mowing every two weeks I have a program that is usually every week in the area I am at.

I know the Organics is slow going but my clients are complaining about the growth and color so I am going to have to switch out of it and get something to speed up growth before we get our normal 2 week drought like always.

Just disappointed in results and should have not changed from my routine. I feel like the change may have cost me a few new clients that I got this year. Will only be able to tell at renewal time (hopefully they give me the rest of this year to turn things around)
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonLawnTreatment View Post
Lawns are Irrigated on all but about 12.
Lawns looked yellow (a little brownish in some areas). I only did a soil test on my lawn as I know what my lawn has been through in the past unlike majority of my clients (long term) and the Soil pH did not change.

I would say growth is about the same as it would be normally. Hard to say with no real side by side. I have done everything the bottle says on Fescue grass. No am not mowing every two weeks I have a program that is usually every week in the area I am at.

I know the Organics is slow going but my clients are complaining about the growth and color so I am going to have to switch out of it and get something to speed up growth before we get our normal 2 week drought like always.

Just disappointed in results and should have not changed from my routine. I feel like the change may have cost me a few new clients that I got this year. Will only be able to tell at renewal time (hopefully they give me the rest of this year to turn things around)
Your description is not enough information to go on. Lawns looked yellow (a little brownish in some areas) could be disease problems due to this year's weather. Have you identified any diseases?

Soil test will tell you more than pH and should be done at least once on each lawn to give you a baseline for nutrients and pH. Random samples every 3 years to keep on track.

Is the growth the same or less? You say both. Pushing growth at this time of year is the worst thing you could do.

Need more information to understand what is happening to your lawns and why. Organics do take time to work and one or two applications will not perform miracles. What applications of which product(s) have you made this year? What was your program last year?

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Organics works on the ability of microbes to feed and cycle nutrients... no food in the dirt of adequate proportions,,, then not much to work with...
Bridge programs should always be used when dealing with the real world...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Organics works on the ability of microbes to feed and cycle nutrients... no food in the dirt of adequate proportions,,, then not much to work with...
Bridge programs should always be used when dealing with the real world...
Which is why it is standard procedure in organic land care to continually add organic matter and/or inoculants. Many LCO's in the real world have been successful without using bridge programs.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So was that what Johnson'sLawnTreatment was told when he was buying the ICT Organics juice??? Are you saying that the ICT really works as long as you are adding OM???
I find that if I'm adding adequate amounts of compost, fertilizer can't really improve it at some point...
What are the instructions(label) that promises a better lawn???

Seems like there is a void between what should be done and what people are being told can be done... just sayin'...
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Midwest has had no rain for a month. Most customers don't water cuz they're cheap like me. I believe in adding organic matter to poor soils, but nothing works unless you can get the product into the soil (root system). We're applying 50% slow release nutrients on lawns right now, so these nutrients will be available when rainfall & cooler temps arrive. Kinda like a preemergent only with nutrients instead of pesticides. ISU research also proves this. Lawns recover more quickly & stronger when they are fertilized during summer months.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So was that what Johnson'sLawnTreatment was told when he was buying the ICT Organics juice??? Are you saying that the ICT really works as long as you are adding OM???
I find that if I'm adding adequate amounts of compost, fertilizer can't really improve it at some point...
What are the instructions(label) that promises a better lawn???

Seems like there is a void between what should be done and what people are being told can be done... just sayin'...
I have no idea what he was told when buying the product. It's possible he may have just purchased it on line without speaking with anyone. He hasn't identified which ICT product(s) he has used nor has he answered the questions that I have asked.

There are no miracle products. Any product(s) must be used wisely and as part of an entire program with proper cultural practices to provide best results.

Franklin D. Roosevelt