Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2000, 09:09 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Alan wrote:<p>&gt;Stone made some half cocked comment about thrust loads being greater (has to be thrust load, he was concerned about the weight). <p>Sorry I made no such statement.<p>But I offer the following concerning the<br>double blade nonsence.<p>1. If you need to put two blades on your mower you should go out and buy a real piece of equipment instead of the poorly designed<br>machine you are using now.<p>2. Any time you modify a machine you are exposing yourself to severe liability.<p>Have any of you double bladers discussed this<br>matter with your counsel?
Old 05-02-2000, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as bolts. I started using the two blade system almost a month ago. I went to a fastener shop and got bolts 1/2&quot; longer just to be safe. No problems. Personally, I think you should get bolts that compensate for the added blade.( only seems reasonable) Three bolts only cost $2.50.Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-02-2000, 09:49 PM

Oh well,, we can't all have beat up old Toros that we need to carry spare parts for. And I don't mow for any lawyers, and I doubt they would appreciate the finer points of mowing anyhow.
Old 05-02-2000, 10:09 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Alan wrote:<p>&gt;Oh well,, we can't all have beat up old Toros that we need to carry spare parts for. <p>No most contractors have to buy new machines and take them to the dealer (rip off).<p>But this is the kind of reply I would expect from someone who on his best day can only<br>make $40 per hour.<p>Most scrubs in my area make more than that per hour cutting senior citizens lawns for <br>cash with a 21&quot; MTD.
Old 05-02-2000, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawrence stone,<p>Don't down those little scrubs, I used to be one of them. Well........ I guess I still am, only with a lot bigger equiptment.LOL
Old 05-03-2000, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

. Any time you modify a machine you are exposing yourself to severe<br> liability.<br>Stone. I love it! You hit it on the head! Yes , exactly you are exposing yourself to liablitity. Every time that an enthusiasist's bike runs down the quarter, with their 80 cube harley, they are open for litigation. From the ported and polished head, reshaped combustion chamber, secret ground cam, and overbore block, May I possibly mention the stroker crank! Of course it's fun to modify, yes I know we are talking mowers here,not full bore quater mile machines. But humor me here. Just had to blow off some steam, I do miss my big block Torino.
Old 05-03-2000, 03:10 PM

Well, Mr. Stone, if I'm a &quot;scrub&quot; I guess I'm content to be that way. I think I prefer being an old hick country scrub to being one of those know it alls from the big city. The first time you responded to anything I posted you displayed quite a large dose of pompous, exactly what I would expect from reading stuff you have posted. There is a lot of knowledge to be shared here, but from what I can see you talk quite a lot but say very little. It's also rather interesting that you keep your e-mail address &quot;private&quot;, I guess that says quite a lot as well.<br>
Old 05-09-2000, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok here in Cleveland the grass is growing like crazy, so I was desperate to try something new on my 52 stander. First I used all regular with a high lift on the bottom at the discharge, the results were ok, it left a strip of grass at the discharge, but the clippings were definetly reduced. So next I took the high lift blade off and just used all regular blades and presto the results were great, I am now a believer. Just one question is it nescessary to keep the top set of blades as sharp as the bottom?
Old 05-09-2000, 08:12 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Mr. Plow, You don't need to sharpen the top blades each time. I'm glad you like the way it mows. Right now we need all the help we can get with all this rain we are finally getting. That, along with the grass seeding, makes for a lot of clippings to make disappear. Good Luck.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 05-10-2000, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have added gatorblades to the high lift blades on my lazer, I have the mulching kit on it, and the blades bog down a lot in tall grass, i have a 23hp kohler should i take the mulch kit off,