Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fertilizing with water soluble Fert.

I'm a grass guy and now wish to get my plantings in order. I had a landscaping company come and install the front beds and I have moved and added some plants to the back.

In a precious thread my hydrangeas were yellowing and drooping. I applied some osmocote per my father in laws suggestion(he's a flower and plant loving guy). They have perked up now but still a little yellow and he suggested applying jacks water soluble Fert every 2 weeks or so.

The Fert I have is a general purpose 20-20-20. I am going to apply some to the hydrangeas at 1 scoop per plant. I'm curious if it is ok to apply some to the other plants in my landscape .... Knock outs, black eye Susan's, lillys, rhodos, gardenias, etc.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

20-20-20 may be applied as a spray past the point of runoff(10-20 gallons) per 1000 and 2 lb per 100 gallons as often as every 7 days. I make an application like this to most ornamental areas every 30 days(palms, perennials, woody shrubs). Annuals and herbaceous plants do like their fertilizer.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my experIence plants and palms I get fertIlIzed wIth a slow-release granular every 3 months for the most part do not require any kind of liquid fertilizer. If I'm trying to force new growth then yes I believe a liquid is needed. If I'm tryIng to keep the leaves green and flowers bloomIng the the granular does the trick just fine.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I take it that granular is something like a palm or nursery blend that is partially slow release and contains micronutrients. Osmocote is supposed to be used within a fertility program consisting of it, a granular micronutrient supplement, and additional soluble complete fertilizers. Used by itself, the response can be lacking.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I take it that granular is something like a palm or nursery blend that is partially slow release and contains micronutrients. Osmocote is supposed to be used within a fertility program consisting of it, a granular micronutrient supplement, and additional soluble complete fertilizers. Used by itself, the response can be lacking.
Exactly. I use 8-2-12 which is the recommended blend for palms here and it works great on ornamentals and ill even use it on smaller lawns. I use osmocote on annuals. I've been fertilizing palms that are heavy feeders every two months such as date palms, foxtails, and coconuts.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure lack of nutrients is the problem?

Roses are heavy feeders. Black-eyed susans generally don't need or want fertilization. Rhodies (by me) want something like Hollytone, NOT 20-20-20. Maybe they do by you, but I never would.

As a general rule of thumb, shrubs\perennials do not respond well to water soluble, fast release ferts. They are not turf grass. There are some exceptions such as roses.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office