Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
"... Kong's team isolated three chemicals from crabgrass that affect the microbial communities in nearby soil and did indeed inhibit the growth of staple crops wheat, corn and soybeans. "The chemical-specific changes in [the] soil microbial community generated a negative feedback on crop growth," the scientists said, noting that the chemicals also would have a direct toxic effect on other plants."

So the allelopathy is directed SOLELY at the microbes, not a general herbicides to actual plants...

Now I'm curious ,,, what is the "negative feedback" all about???
The addition of compost may not even overcome that 'negative feedback' and end up being contaminated itself...
Interesting...
Read it again. "the scientists said, noting that the chemicals also would have a direct toxic effect on other plants."

Compost being contaminated is pure conjecture on your part. But that being said I hope there will be more studies following up on this.

Dr. James Murphy of Rutgers is in China now attending http://www.turfsociety.com/itrc2013/ Maybe he will bring back some more info.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The link you posted comes up to a cover page so I'll just take your word for it that I misread the notion that toxins affect the plant directly...
Yes, it is conjecture on my part as to the effects that the allelopathic activity against microbes,,, hence the use of the word, 'may' at the critical part of the sentence... the use of the words 'curious and interesting would also indicate the wonder on my part...
That is why I agree with you that it would be interesting to learn more about this particular example of the allelopathic phenomena...
What I don't agree with is the tone of this statement:
"Compost being contaminated is pure conjecture on your part. ..."
Its like you carry the spirit of kiril in your heart...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The link you posted comes up to a cover page so I'll just take your word for it that I misread the notion that toxins affect the plant directly...

I copied this quote directly from your post "the scientists said, noting that the chemicals also would have a direct toxic effect on other plants." So I assumed you read it.
Yes, it is conjecture on my part as to the effects that the allelopathic activity against microbes,,, hence the use of the word, 'may' at the critical part of the sentence... the use of the words 'curious and interesting would also indicate the wonder on my part...
That is why I agree with you that it would be interesting to learn more about this particular example of the allelopathic phenomena...
Agreed.
What I don't agree with is the tone of this statement:
"Compost being contaminated is pure conjecture on your part. ..."
Its like you carry the spirit of kiril in your heart...
Just give it a break, will you?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"... "The chemical-specific changes in [the] soil microbial community generated a negative feedback on crop growth," the scientists said, noting that the chemicals also would have a direct toxic effect on other plants. "

That is the phrase I mistook as a negative,,, and I'm glad it was straightened out in my mind...

So as we speak the extant areas of CG are actively killing grass as much as Creeping Charlie is...