Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey bro, glad that things are working out for you after all with the 260! That is a great machine IMO, and I was sure you'd get the results you were after with a little investigation and adjusting.

Not many decks can process a tall cut off of crabgrass or clover, and worst of all is what many call crabgrass that is actually in reality goosegrass. It looks very similar to crabgrqass, but it is the bright green stuff that is always wet even duringa drought. Look at the links and you'll see what I mean. That stuff is nasty to cut, and ALWAYS clumps no matter what when the lawn has much of it in it.

http://msuturfweeds.net/details/_/goosegrass_50/

http://msuturfweeds.net/details/_/large_crabgrass_48/
Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate your comments and the links you posted! I see some Goosegrass in just about every yard I cut, but I see a lot more Crabgrass. Goosegrass is some tough stuff to cut anyway you go at it.
I just started my business this spring and I am cutting just about any yard I get the opportunity too. Trying to build a customer base, but its tough. My yards aren't the best. Maybe I will pick up some more yards this year and since I will be starting much earlier next year, I should pick up some more.
I am retired, believe it or not, but just wanted to get out and do something instead of sitting in that recliner and growing old. I get a little cash flow going and that helps out too.
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell ya one thing I've found- since cutting crab or goosegrass usually requires a couple passes to clean up some or all of the clumps, cutting at a higher height on the fist pass and then down where you want to be for the second alleviates a lot of clumping issues, if not all of them.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ridin' Green. Appreciate the hint and never thought of that. I have been double cutting at the same height. Now I know how to do it.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It may not fix all your woes, but it darn sure helps! I don't know if it matters that much on how you go about it, but I try to split the take off amount in half for each pass, ie; when taking off an average of 4", do 2 passes in 2" increments to get to your desired HOC.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I keep them bastards at 20 psi. no flats!!!