Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone used facebook's ad's? You set a daily budget and get so many likes. I have got business from facebook, but it was always someone I already knew. Just curious if anyone has gotten descent results from it.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have considered it but have not tried it. I think you can get pretty granular on how localized you want the ad's and demographics.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
I have considered it but have not tried it. I think you can get pretty granular on how localized you want the ad's and demographics.
Yeah, I went through the process to see how detailed it was, but didn't finish it.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

question on sales tax for you texas guys...

the law reads:

Quote:
Lawn Care and Landscaping by the Self-Employed

Lawn care and landscaping (other than pest control services requiring a license) are nontaxable when done by a self-employed individual who:
does the actual lawn care or landscaping services;

has no employees, partners or other persons providing the services;

has gross receipts from the services of $5,000 or less during the most recent four calendar quarters.

If your income from landscaping and lawn care exceeds $5,000 during the most recent four calendar quarters, you must begin collecting tax on these services on the first day of the quarter after the threshold is exceeded. When your gross income from these services falls to $5,000 or below for the most recent four calendar quarters, the exemption resumes on the first day of the next quarter.
the line bolded to me says if my YTD earnings (let's say at the end of quarter 2) are $5,001 or $50,001, i don't have to collect/pay sales tax until the first day of quarter 3...

is this correct?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post

the law reads:

the line bolded to me says if my YTD earnings (let's say at the end of quarter 2) are $5,001 or $50,001, i don't have to collect/pay sales tax until the first day of quarter 3...

is this correct?

Your best bet is just to call the comptrollers office and seek clarification. When I started we were able to pay quarterly but once we hit a certain level of sales we had to pay monthly. Monthly is really better so your not sitting of thousands of dollars that are not yours to spend.

The only non taxable things I do are consulting and retaining walls. If you do ponds those are also non taxable since ponds and wall will ad value you will be taxed on from property taxes.

I did irrigation years ago and if I recall correctly residential labor was not taxable but commercial was. I'm sure someone else can chime in on this.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post

the law reads:

is this correct?

You would need to pay sales tax on it, they would be due by the 20th of July if it was from the 2nd Quarter. You may need to file an extension if you missed the 2oth. Best thing to do would be find a good CPA and have them do those things for you. They really are worth it.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sales taxes aren't due until the 22nd of july for 2nd qtr this year. i can still make it by filing online, just need to understand the law.

i still don't understand what either of you are saying. do i owe sales tax on anything over $5000 or do i owe tax starting in the qtr after i go over $5000 in income?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The most recent 4 quarters is the key here. If you are just starting out as a loner then you do not worry about Sales Tax until you break the 5K mark in gross sales. The moment you break 5K you owe sales tax on all of it.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
The most recent 4 quarters is the key here. If you are just starting out as a loner then you do not worry about Sales Tax until you break the 5K mark in gross sales. The moment you break 5K you owe sales tax on all of it.
ok, so i owe sales tax on all of my income for the year, as last year was my first and i did not pick half of my last years customers until very late.

thanks for your reply ELS, that makes sense.

it's only if your most recent 4 qtrs stay under $5K they let you get away with it. like a retirement job...
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll pose the answer as an example just for clarification and understanding. Say you started April 1st last year and your income was $1250 for Q2 of 2012, $1250 for Q3 of 2012, $1250 for Q4 of 2012 and $1251 for Q1 of 2013. Your previous 4 quarters would have exceeded the $5000 mark ($5001) and you would begin to collect sales and use tax on the first day of Q2 2013 (April 1st). If you had made $1 less in Q1 of 2013 then the clock for collecting sales tax would not have kicked in yet and you would have to wait and see what your Q2 2013 numbers were to know if you needed to start collecting in Q3. I hope the example helps clarify the code. It's always dependent on a running total of your most recent previous 4 quarters that you look at.