Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
If you are bouncing around that much you might want to play with the settings of the springs on the shocks. I have never upgraded a seat on a Ferris so not sure if you still use the same switch or use the switch in the Michigan seat... I have seen similar systems on other manufacturers. One of them was Exmark on older machines. Its nice as it keeps the wiring from interfering when you tilt the seat up..
Hmm, Im not sure that would help? From factory all springs are set on soft & the thing is Im not bottoming out the springs even on that setting, so going harder is the only option which would take less of the shock. I think adding a seat is the only/best option. Or would you stiffen the springs?

Im considering a puffer air seat if its not too expensive to ship over here, so If installing that I would need to run a wire for the compressor, so would just need to run an extra 2 for pressure switch
Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You've got my choice of mowers for your cutting situation, you need an excellent suspension (due to so many rough properties), of which you have the best, you need a good cutting deck of which I would put yours up against any, and I have always claimed Vanguard is at the top of engines in the mower industry. The only need Vanguard has is fuel injection; of which they are working on very hard.

I hope you will be as happy with this mower as I believe you should be. I only hope you've got a good one, and when I say this, there are lemons in everything made by man.

I'm really looking forward to hearing details of your experience with the 3100, and if you find the need for more power than the 36 hp Vanguard, you need to be looking for a farm tractor to mow with.

What's the size of the discharge opening on your deck?
Yep the Ferris gives the best package for my needs, I cant utilise any speed on the other ZTRs, this thing will do full speed almost anywhere so its the most productive mower I could own. Also preserving my back as best as possible for the next umpteen years!

I also hope not to end up with a lemon! All the components are high quality, the hydros are the same as chosen by scag for their turf tigers, also I believe the same hydro as on the Gravely 400 series only the gravely has combined wheel/pump motors but the same brand/capacity. (according to my dealer that was)

I also look forward to being able to give feedback, mostly positive with any luck!

The chute opening is 17.75" at the top & 18.5" at the bottom. Nice and wide which Im learning is a good way to make them!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Yep the Ferris gives the best package for my needs, I cant utilise any speed on the other ZTRs, this thing will do full speed almost anywhere so its the most productive mower I could own. Also preserving my back as best as possible for the next umpteen years!

I also hope not to end up with a lemon! All the components are high quality, the hydros are the same as chosen by scag for their turf tigers, also I believe the same hydro as on the Gravely 400 series only the gravely has combined wheel/pump motors but the same brand/capacity. (according to my dealer that was)

I also look forward to being able to give feedback, mostly positive with any luck!

The chute opening is 17.75" at the top & 18.5" at the bottom. Nice and wide which Im learning is a good way to make them!
The bigger the discharge opening, the easier on hp pull, I really don't understand why it has taken these manufacturers so long to figure that out.

EverRide has the largest discharge opening of any mower on the market, or least they always have, they were way ahead in this category. I'm thinking the tunnel deck on their Warrior had a 21" discharge opening, maybe someone knows the exact measurement. This is now the Gravely Pro-Ride, of which I'm told they are building around 150 more, and then Gravely will discontinue the model , but parts will still be available.

You can look at this deck and see it will handle a tremendous amount of grass.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a small clip from the day I demoed the 3100, showing the suspension working. Sorry for the not so great videography, I will eventually get someone who is good at using a camera to do some filming for me, showing the suspension working a little more clearly & eventually some good video of the iCD decks clipping dispersal.

But just for now this shows the shocks in action! If you pay attention to the top of rear wheel in relation to the bottom of fuel tank, you'll see the travel of the rear shocks. @ 57 sec & again 1.25min

Mostly this is cut at full speed, just to give me an idea on shock absorption for demo more than anything, in reality I would be cutting a little slower over the largish ruts to minimise the height the deck lifts for a more even cut. Mind you if I tried to cut at this speed with a non-susp ZTR the deck would leave the ground even more.

Best to view in HD.

http://youtu.be/3MADHanU65A
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The suspension is clearly working quite well. A lot better than any flex forks and suspension seat will (if Deere ever actually offers them for sale like they advertise).
Old 07-21-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The suspension is clearly working quite well. A lot better than any flex forks and suspension seat will (if Deere ever actually offers them for sale like they advertise).
The concept is great if you need it and in this day of 16 MPH mowing machines it is more than welcome than ever, they need to add more beef to the design.

Look at a MOTO X bike from 1980 which is what the Ferris suspension is built like and look at a MOTO X bike today. Do you see the stuff the guys can hit on a new modern bike as compared to a 1980 bike?

The 1980 bike would break if you tried to hit anything like the new bikes, the Ferris is a great concept but it just needs to be made better.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Heres a small clip from the day I demoed the 3100, showing the suspension working. Sorry for the not so great videography, I will eventually get someone who is good at using a camera to do some filming for me, showing the suspension working a little more clearly & eventually some good video of the iCD decks clipping dispersal.

But just for now this shows the shocks in action! If you pay attention to the top of rear wheel in relation to the bottom of fuel tank, you'll see the travel of the rear shocks. @ 57 sec & again 1.25min

Mostly this is cut at full speed, just to give me an idea on shock absorption for demo more than anything, in reality I would be cutting a little slower over the largish ruts to minimise the height the deck lifts for a more even cut. Mind you if I tried to cut at this speed with a non-susp ZTR the deck would leave the ground even more.

Best to view in HD.

Looking good!!! Thanks for the vid.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Best to view in HD.

Green, have you tried adjusting the coil overs yet? What setting are they on from the factory on your machine?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Best to view in HD.

Great view of the suspension in action. Thanks for posting that. I would like to see it on a side hill if you have a chance.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Best to view in HD.

What has made those type ruts in this property? The lawn appears to be flat, which to me would mean the soil should not have washed this badly before grass was established. Do you believe the equipment used in the initial landscaping may have caused this problem?

When you initially view the property it is very nice looking, and one would never expect it to be in this condition, of which is extremely rough.

Do you have very many properties in this same condition, a condition that appears to have been incorporated by some type of faulty mechanical means?

You've never owned any mower that would cut good at over 4 to5 mph on this property, it would beat you to death. I could see even with the Ferris suspension you appeared to almost leave the seat in a couple of places.