Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
I agree with the too much water point. I used to get bad headaches after a day of working evening drinking a gallon of water, found out it was a lack of electrolytes. Now I drink half of a gatorade before I leave to work, then drink the other half when I get home. No more headaches.
I've been through 6 gallons of fluid in a day before trimming shrubs for 12 hrs on a 95 degree day with 80+ perencent humidity. Its a whole different ball game when your drinking that much and never needing to take a tinckle.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh so heat exhaustion, that's what they call this disorder of the cluelessness.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I never got to hot out mowing or landscaping But 2 yrs ago I got over heated bucking straw bales I was loading straw I was in a hole and in a barn I about pass out Thank god the farmer had a truck with ac I was in truck for 30mins to get my core temp down Then paid and hauled it home I so glad to get out that bottom.

When its hot I try to stay out of the ac till I'm done for the day my truck doesn't have ac.
We been starting at day break and stopping for lunch at 1-2pm and call it a day been doing this for last 2 weeks hope cool temps come back

Out 3 guys we put away 15 gallons of water each day
Hay is even worse. 90 degree day is 110-120 in the barn with hay dust clinging to your sweat and they add acid to the bails for preservation and not only does it eat your clothes but burns your eyes. Straw is bad but I don't think it gives heat off like hay does. Lukly I've never been to that point yet. I sweat to much I think.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was close today, i was making mistakes. I blew two yards before i trimmed, then had to go back and blow the second time. I did the backpack Pirouette one time, left the cruise control on when i started it, then did circles trying to get in the harness. It probably looked funny to anyone watching. I also forgot to change cutting height for a fast growing yard and spent way to much time double cutting. Turned the wrong way and blew a ton of grass in a bed, these mistakes i can attribute to the heat and extending the day even more. Getting overheated is no joke, be safe out there everyone.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

don't hesitate to grab a hose and soak down, back of neck, head and forearms. Brings the core temp down quick.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Hay is even worse. 90 degree day is 110-120 in the barn with hay dust clinging to your sweat and they add acid to the bails for preservation and not only does it eat your clothes but burns your eyes. Straw is bad but I don't think it gives heat off like hay does. Lukly I've never been to that point yet. I sweat to much I think.
Been there and did that 50 years ago. After I got my degree I went to
work for a company and it was ac all the way. I swore I would be the best little employee they ever had....stayed 35 years.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This scares me because it is so different than what I experience 2 or 3 years ago. I was trimming around graves on a steep hill at a cemetery, and as I worked under a big Oak tree in the shade I felt like the lights were getting dimmer and dimmer in the shade. I leaned against the tree and realized I had total tunnel vision and immediately got nausea real bad. I called my best man who lived right around the corner and woke him up from his 3rd shift sleep. I told him I was sick and I was coming over and if I wasn't there soon to come and find me. I made it and was fine.

Everyone at the power store said it was a stroke coming on but I think it wasn't even close to what you went through. I can see how you became a zombie, I think I was close and the shade made me aware of it? Or snapped me out of it? I never felt a loss of control and you were out of it. That should be a wake up for some who can't get up in the early morning!

I hope everything comes out OK for you, sounds like all your luck for the year is used up bud.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I dont use Hay on lawns never needed to go buy square bales of hay I bale big round bales at the farm Loading them is easy in a tractor with AC

Straw is bad when you are in a metal hay shed no wind I loaded 150 bales in about 40 mins Heat index was 105

Fars that goes hay don't give heat off either unless its freash hay

The worst buying straw from a Hog farmer that's some dusty straw

Back in 80s I use buy my straw from the field on shares I keep my half and I had stack farmer's half in his barn. Then was buying straw for $1.00 per bale now paying 3.50 out of a barn
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I dont use Hay on lawns never needed to go buy square bales of hay I bale big round bales at the farm Loading them is easy in a tractor with AC

Straw is bad when you are in a metal hay shed no wind I loaded 150 bales in about 40 mins Heat index was 105

Fars that goes hay don't give heat off either unless its freash hay

The worst buying straw from a Hog farmer that's some dusty straw

Back in 80s I use buy my straw from the field on shares I keep my half and I had stack farmer's half in his barn. Then was buying straw for $1.00 per bale now paying 3.50 out of a barn
I was talking about loading fresh hay into a barn. My father was a dairy farmer so we had lots of fun. You would have 2 guy on the trailer and 3 in the barn and you would be popping off 150 bale trailers in 20 min and do that all day long for 3 to 4 days.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JC I did it too and unless someone has worked in China or some other god forsaken place they will never understand. Hay or straw, it all sucks. They run straw up that conveyor at twice the speed because it is half as heavy and then you dad and grandpa are yelling at you and your brother and the neighbor kid, and you cannot even see down there it's so damn hot and dusty. You itch from your eyes to your toes. Getting stung up too, don't forget that part. At the end of the day grandpa would come over and go" OK 10 hours so thats $5 for each of ya" and "Get in that hose before you go around your mom's house or you'll be sleeping in that hay tonight boy"

But farmers are lazy and get to sit around all summer in the AC and watch the crops grow that easy money. Don't forget that kids.