Old 07-21-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Middle of winter over here, quite cool!
I was wondering about that. What are the temps over there in the winter
Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Leave the air pressure at 15 psi rear and 25 for front. Any less the tire will flex and this will cause the deck to lower and possibly scalp on bumps. Leaving at correct pressure makes the suspension work as designed and the deck will follow the contours of the ground.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
My thoughts are it was a mix of poorly prepared surface & ground has settled with a little erosion over time (even with the turf). Ive been cutting this for nearly 5 yrs now & has been this way for that time, however the owner has had it top dressed in the past & has also mentioned the idea of doing it again (so he can have it cut lower) can cut any lower than I do without cutting into dirt on the top of ruts. So that will be a welcome relief if he ever does.

It may well have been a paddock for growing vege's, so being cultivated for a very long time would mean it needed a lot of prep work to prevent it from settling, the ruts are all inline across the length of prop so I cant help wonder if its related to old veg growing mounds. Alternately top dressing for a few yrs, but being costly & not the home owners priority I can understand why this doesn't get done.

The first pic was taken of the pool a few yrs ago but just so happens to show some of the ruts by looking at the low cut spots, which is of coarse the top of each rut. Then the second pic, not taken for this purpose but it shows some more of the ruts. The biggest problem with these is they are covering 80% of the place.

Attachment 275843

Attachment 275844
I would say your deduction is probably accurate, when the mower is crossing where rows were possibly once cultivated makes good sense as to how this came about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
Leave the air pressure at 15 psi rear and 25 for front. Any less the tire will flex and this will cause the deck to lower and possibly scalp on bumps. Leaving at correct pressure makes the suspension work as designed and the deck will follow the contours of the ground.
This is a very good tip, and one that makes sense when thought about, Green let us know what you find when fooling with the air pressure.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=greenology;4821168]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post

If anything more travel in the susp would be the way to go, but theres obviously a limit to wat you can do with a lawn mower needing to cut grass with a cutting deck. My guess is firmer setting wouldn't give as good a ride, unless the shocks were bottoming out but I don't think they do. Also I wouldn't be cutting those bigger ruts at full speed in normal cutting scenario, so there will be less travel again with slower speed.

When I picked it up I asked the mechanic about tyre pressures & he was dead set on the fact I couldn't lower them from factory settings, his explanation was the sidewall of tyres flexing would eventually cause problems with the suspension longevity, as the kind of movement it creates isn't good for it. I dunno its seems quite far fetched. He actually told me 20 for the rears and 25 for the fronts, but I read the user manual which states 15 PSI for the rears & the 25 for front, so I lowered the rears to 14 PSI ! The front I havnt touched at this point, the front shocks seem to do a good job.

What do you think about the pressures? In that video however that being the demo model, the rear pressure was likely 20 PSI. However it also had the ROPS installed which is a good 50kg maybe more, mine has no ROPS on it now & tyres 14, so might be about equal ride.
If I remember correctly, we ran 10 psi in the rears and 15 in the fronts. You will most likely have to readjust your deck when you drop that many psi. 5 psi in a mower has a pretty good effect on ride quality and hillside stability. Go from 10 to 20 in the rears and you will lose all hillside stability in my experience. The ferris I operated was equipped with regular turf masters. I would take that mower anywhere I had balls enough for.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=CurbAppealKS;4821202]
Quote:

If I remember correctly, we ran 10 psi in the rears and 15 in the fronts. You will most likely have to readjust your deck when you drop that many psi. 5 psi in a mower has a pretty good effect on ride quality and hillside stability. Go from 10 to 20 in the rears and you will lose all hillside stability in my experience. The ferris I operated was equipped with regular turf masters. I would take that mower anywhere I had balls enough for.
I can only see it being an improvement on slopes over any other ZTR I have used. I will see how I go and get back to you on that one.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The concept is great if you need it and in this day of 16 MPH mowing machines it is more than welcome than ever, they need to add more beef to the design.

Look at a MOTO X bike from 1980 which is what the Ferris suspension is built like and look at a MOTO X bike today. Do you see the stuff the guys can hit on a new modern bike as compared to a 1980 bike?

The 1980 bike would break if you tried to hit anything like the new bikes, the Ferris is a great concept but it just needs to be made better.
I was looking for some photos of the MX bike I used to own & found this video, to show the suspension bottoming out... Thought you might like it.

http://youtu.be/69eqMexq3UA
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=greenology;4821426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I can only see it being an improvement on slopes over any other ZTR I have used. I will see how I go and get back to you on that one.
You will be happy with it for sure. I'm anxious to hear what you come up with.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=193 Do the fans over the hydro pumps keep them free of debris like they say they will? My Toro does not have them.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growin Green View Post
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=193 Do the fans over the hydro pumps keep them free of debris like they say they will? My Toro does not have them.
The older 3100 I ran had guards over the top of them. They didnt collect much debris. I'm surprised they went away from the guards based on the plastic fins on the fans.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I was wondering about that. What are the temps over there in the winter
Our average min over winter period is around 7 celcius or 44.5 F for u guys. So quite mild, although out in the open with wind chill factor, a jacket is a necessity for me .