Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post
ok, so i owe sales tax on all of my income for the year, as last year was my first and i did not pick half of my last years customers until very late.

thanks for your reply ELS, that makes sense.

it's only if your most recent 4 qtrs stay under $5K they let you get away with it. like a retirement job...
The intent seems to simplify for the retirement job as you say or the high school kid mowing a few lawns.

Keep in mind you can do this two ways. Just collect the money and tell the state your gross sales and pay the taxes out of pocket or do like most other services and add the sales tax to the invoice.

Edit: and do not do like I did and collect and pay based on the location of service. You pay based on your location. If you are less than 8.25% then you may have to collect the extra based on the service location. It is crazy in that regards, but it is not a worry if you operate out of an area that already has 8.25% sales taxes.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986 View Post
I'll pose the answer as an example just for clarification and understanding. Say you started April 1st last year and your income was $1250 for Q2 of 2012, $1250 for Q3 of 2012, $1250 for Q4 of 2012 and $1251 for Q1 of 2013. Your previous 4 quarters would have exceeded the $5000 mark ($5001) and you would begin to collect sales and use tax on the first day of Q2 2013 (April 1st). If you had made $1 less in Q1 of 2013 then the clock for collecting sales tax would not have kicked in yet and you would have to wait and see what your Q2 2013 numbers were to know if you needed to start collecting in Q3. I hope the example helps clarify the code. It's always dependent on a running total of your most recent previous 4 quarters that you look at.
That is true, the word Begin to Collect is there. You do not have to go and pay back taxes for prior quarters / months. I used to file quarterly but I would occasionally break that threshold so I just went monthly. Now I am at a level where monthly is required.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

more rain, more growth, friday off !!!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post
more rain, more growth, friday off !!!
Yeah, We need it...I cant beleive we are still under a D2 drought level with the rain we've had.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For any of you guys with even one crew who are looking to get out of the stone age the GPS tracking service I use is giving away the $180 tracking equipment for free right now. I only pay $18 a month. Once you have GPS tracking so you know exactly where your crew is, how long it is taking to complete jobs, gas station stops, ect you will be kicking yourself for not getting it years ago. You can't maximize your efficiencies unless you know the time spent working versus in the time in transit. If your operating blind on trust your losing money needlessly.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are any of you guys going to the TNLA Expo in Dallas next week. This year the show is only Friday and Saturday and not Sunday. The class's for irrigation and applicators CEU's are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. If you have never been your really missing out.

Here is a link to pictures from last years Expo http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...32&postcount=1

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wanted to see if anyone on here was happy with their website hosting service and SEO services they were paying for. It's easy to stand out in smaller markets like Buda where I'm located but much more challenging to stand out in Austin which is the majority of our target market.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This thread has gotten pretty quite. Here http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=366 is grub posting I made on my thread. The little SOB's devoured the roots on some Dwarf Fountain Grass.

They seem to really like Mexican Feather Grass as well but that might be a good thing because it's such a short lived prolific seed producer. I call it Mexican Rabbit Grass because it multiplies so much.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Landscape

Here a link http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=368 to a nice small project I did in Buda this week. If any of you guys are big on using unique planting you won't find at a Home Depot this job has several native and naturalized plantings.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pistole's

If you guys ever need a transfer case or manual transmission rebuilt Pistole's in south Austin is the place to go. I think you will find most trans shops in Austin who say they do auto and manual work actually send the manual units to Pistole's. I saw an Eagle Transmission truck pulling in when I was leaving.

They have been doing trans work for about 50 years. The owner is a down to earth guy who won't sell you anything you don't need. It sounds like people forgetting to keep tabs on the level of oil in the transfer case is a big problem. The oil doesn't leak out most of the time but it cooks down and you don't realize the level has dropped.
Attached Images