Exmark 28 35.90%
Blue Bird 2 2.56%
Billy Goat 2 2.56%
Toro 8 10.26%
Other 38 48.72%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Other...Scag for mowers and I prefer Ryan aerators.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
Sorry, but I can't believe Hustler is better than Exmark. My Lazer Z is built like a tank. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is from before the parts reduction on their mowers, and so is weighs about the same as a tank also lol.
Then you have apparently never used a Hustler.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRB View Post
Then you have apparently never used a Hustler.
I worked for a Huslter dealer when I was younger. Their Super Z's crush Exmark's design. Honestly Exmark/Toro makes a great mower, but half of the people are brainwashed. They have an ocean of dealers and are very commercialized. Dont get me wrong you can drop a brick wall on the thing and still mow your lawn, but not my cup of tea. I'm not too biased on any brand but I prefer Button/Bob-Cat (Bob-Cat now, now that that's all they make). However other contenders I'd choose over an Exmark would be John Deere, Dixie-Chopper, and Hustler.
In the terms of turf renovation/maintenance I would have to say Ryan & Blue Bird are a close call, but I'd say Ryan wins it.
Debris handling I would say Billy Goat, however Little Wonder makes a great WB blower.
My .02

20 Years Old
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
I worked for a Huslter dealer when I was younger. Their Super Z's crush Exmark's design. Honestly Exmark/Toro makes a great mower, but half of the people are brainwashed. They have an ocean of dealers and are very commercialized. Dont get me wrong you can drop a brick wall on the thing and still mow your lawn, but not my cup of tea. I'm not too biased on any brand but I prefer Button/Bob-Cat (Bob-Cat now, now that that's all they make). However other contenders I'd choose over an Exmark would be John Deere, Dixie-Chopper, and Hustler.
In the terms of turf renovation/maintenance I would have to say Ryan & Blue Bird are a close call, but I'd say Ryan wins it.
Debris handling I would say Billy Goat, however Little Wonder makes a great WB blower.
My .02
Like you basically said, to each his own. I think that all the dealers they have is a BIG reason to buy exmark because of how easy it is to get warranty work done. For warranty work you need a certified repair shop, and I have (what I think is) one of the best dealers in Indiana. This is unrelated, but even during the wet season, their handheld turnaround is about 3-4 days instead of 6-8 weeks. John Deere makes pretty good stuff, but the decks don't give as good of a cut. Dixie-Chopper isn't nearly as good (relative to the industry) as it used to be. And I can't comment past cut quality on Hustler. Still not quite as good as Exmark.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IDK if Ryan is still on the market, but you get what you pay for. At one time OMC(Outboard Marine Corp.) even owned them by the tag on my overseeder. Last I knew Ryan was owned by the Bobcat Z and Bunton Z people. Regardless I hated the lesco aerator I used to rent, it was clunky, controls were loose, light, wasn't very rugged looking and it was brand new. Not some old rental pile, new.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
Like you basically said, to each his own. I think that all the dealers they have is a BIG reason to buy exmark because of how easy it is to get warranty work done. For warranty work you need a certified repair shop, and I have (what I think is) one of the best dealers in Indiana. This is unrelated, but even during the wet season, their handheld turnaround is about 3-4 days instead of 6-8 weeks. John Deere makes pretty good stuff, but the decks don't give as good of a cut. Dixie-Chopper isn't nearly as good (relative to the industry) as it used to be. And I can't comment past cut quality on Hustler. Still not quite as good as Exmark.
It's funny you say that about John Deere. Their deck is known to be one of, if not the best in the industry. It produces a much better cut quality then that of an Exmark. As for warranty warranty work, almost all manufacturers require a certified repair shop for warranty work. That isn't so class exclusive Exmark. The boom with Exmark started when Toro purchased them. Any dealer that stocked Toro commercially had to stock Exmark, and vice versa. Dealer support is a big up sell, but "warranty work" isnt what makes a dealer stock a brand, trust me. What makes a large dealer stock a brand is what sells the best for them. The largest dealer in my area sells John Deere and Exmark. The second largest sells Dixie, BobCat, Toro, and Exmark, and their BobCat sales are double their Exmarks. A good example of why Exmark drowns the competition in sales is this; if the largest dealer in your area only stocks Exmark, or that's their best seller, then right out of the gate you are drawn towards that machine. And the same goes for any other brand, it's just that Exmark is one of the biggest commercial mass produce machines. If you actually talk to people in the industry with experience running multiple brands, you'll see that a lot of other manufactures make machines just as good, if not better. As far as the perfect mower, I would say a John Deere deck on a Scag or Hustler frame would beat an Exmark any day.

As far as the Dixie Chopper, the only thing that detracted people away was the electronic deck lift, and the large expense that was caused if it broke. However now that Dixie has gotten rid of that, you'll see a lot more Dixie's being run in industrial situations.

They all make a good mowers, no doubt about it. And you aren't wrong to choose one or the other. It's like a Chevy, Ford, and Dodge debate. But until you get out and actually use them sun up to sun down, it's hard to say what's the best reading out of a pamphlet.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

A good point about warranty work, but still: There is a reason why Brickman chooses Exmark over John Deere (and everyone else). I also will say I have mowed with Exmark and I have mowed with John Deere and I like Exmark better. But as we have both said, most of it is personal opinion.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I'm relatively new to owning my own lawncare business but not new to doing lawn care. 4yrs exp. As I have recently just branched out on my own I am at a crossroads as to which zero turn to purchase. I have been using a White ZTR50 with my former boss which is Cub Cadets off brand. My question is this should I go sit down zero turn or walk behind zero turn? Also which brand gives the best cut in both dry and wet conditions? I have been cutting my current clients with a push mower which is making it difficult for me to grow the business at a more rapid pace. I'm pretty eager to purchase a mower before next season.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Neither. Get a standon Exmark Vantage. They aren't as expensive as a rider, yet they also have the same productivity and maneuverability. Plus, the standing platform folds up so you can also use it like a walk-behind.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I've looked at those but the Toro version. I haven't priced out the Exmark Vantage yet. I did notice the ability to use it as a traditional walk behind as needed. The problem I'm having is I'm growing my business the old school way....no loans. So buying the big boy stuff I want is gonna take some time. I will say I am growing partial to Exmark.