Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you pick up a late yard, can you mix dimension and prodiamine?

Our crab starts to germinate in mid march here. Say you pick up a yard in april/may. Prodiamine last longer in the soil but dimension has post emergent tendencies. Ive never used dim but the ones tha have, can you mix the 2 and spray with no prob? or can you just up the rate of dimension and spray a 6 mo rate? just thinking here....
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting idea. Most crabgrass here is not setting seed--less than 6 inches in diameter here, but 95 degrees today.
I will try it. Maybe one ounce of Dimension on 9 sqft of grass heavily infested with crabgrass. That would be 6.9 pounds per thousand sqft of my fert with dimension product...or...about .345 pounds per acre of active ingredient, dithiopyr. Stay tuned.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Picking up a lawn late in the season with crab problems will not be remedied by dimension and barricade.
Dimension requires 4 leaf stage before the initiation of tillering to be effective. Five leaves or less on post emerged weed matter.
I would say, as a preventative it will be okay with dimension, it depends on your seeding abilities.
The cost for an acre application of dimension isn't bad but why? Too late after April/May and the crab is either established or past the tillar stage.

Why not think about Drive XLR8 and barricade or with Pendimethalin.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

think green,
Thanks for the response. i wasnt talking about after crab has shown its ugly face. I was saying crab germinates here mid march or so. so you need your prodiamine down before that. but if your a tad late i was thinking about dimension and then prodiamine mixed due to pro staying in the soil longer control and dimension just incase crab has already germinated. I may not be thinking right on this one and was just looking for opinions. it may be fine to use just dimension on a tad late yard. But i didnt know if anyone ever mixes. or if you even can legally. i never saw anything on the prodiamine label
Old 07-19-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody knows. Try it and let us know.
The two products have different modes of chemical action. They may help each other--or they may not.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If my memory serves me at all tonight. These herbicides is both root and shoot inhibitors. Make sure the lawn you are talking about is established and not under any stress and has irrigation.