Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Geez puppy,
I knew there are more Hustler users here than what post, besides those that do, and I tried hard not to offend anyone, but obviously you took offense whether or not you want to publicly admit it here. This is based off of your response to my post.

I didn't"seem to want to dispute your 1000 number by using one other LCO" just stated the facts as they are.

As GMLC stated above, there are far more Exmarks here than any other brand, and a large number of Bobcats. Why? Because here, Bob cat is much less expensive for the small/new guys to get into a commercial machine, and for everyone else, if you don't run Exmark, you are not a professional. It's a mindset thing. At one point Exmark was the best machine for the area, but over time other brands have improved drastically and are much better suited for this area, but try to get the current Exmark users to switch..... no way. Not going to happen. It doesn't mean that Exmark is still best, but rather that they are perceived as being the top of the line machine still. That's it. I'd bet money it;'s the same in your area for Hustler, or any other area of the US where one brand has typically held the top position for several years running.

As for calling the guy, that would be rather stupid and a waste of time, not to mention an insult to the guy. He has his reasons for buying what he buys where he is at now, but let him move to the north and I bet big money that his brand of choice would change quick, fast and ion a hurry!

As for the LCO's here being small fish in a big pond, you need to read more of the other sub forums it would appear. There are some very big fish here, but regardless of that, there are LCO's from all walks of life here, and all areas of the country. You can't get more diversified than that.

Your first question to me about the best machine for a given area of the country is not an yes or no answer for me, because again as I have already mentioned and GMLC pointed out, what sells best isn't always what IS best. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it's what was and old habits are hard to break. Sometimes it's a matter of buying whatever a really great dealer sells regardless of brand because reliability is oh so important for a commercial cutter.

You are not the only guy on this site to try to tell me how superior Hustlers are built, but I have spent a lot of time looking around/over them and about every major brand made before dropping cash money on one, and I can see some areas in which they are more heavily built, and others where I don't think so at all when comparing them side by side. The decks are stout, but are way overkill to say the least, even for a hardcore commercial cutter. The frames though? Gotta call BS on that, especially these days with so many others building very stout machines. The Hyper Drive is no doubt built very well, but again, so what if the other major brands are lasting as long as the machine's useful life? What more can anyone ask of a hydro? The biggest thing is that there are constantly more complaints about Hustlers decks than any other brand, and that is spread out around the globe, not just the country or one area of it.

I'm glad that you are happy with your SZ. It is always a pleasure to own something that you really enjoy, but please don't keep hawking them to the rest of us (especially those of us that do this for our living) as if they are the ne plus ultra. They aren't. If they were, more of us who are out in the fields and traveling the roads daily would see more LCO's running them throughout the country than we do, but we don't, and there's a reason for that. Anyone being objective about all this would at least have to agree to that last comment.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Geez puppy,
I knew there are more Hustler users here than what post, besides those that do, and I tried hard not to offend anyone, but obviously you took offense whether or not you want to publicly admit it here. This is based off of your response to my post.

I didn't"seem to want to dispute your 1000 number by using one other LCO" just stated the facts as they are.

As GMLC stated above, there are far more Exmarks here than any other brand, and a large number of Bobcats. Why? Because here, Bob cat is much less expensive for the small/new guys to get into a commercial machine, and for everyone else, if you don't run Exmark, you are not a professional. It's a mindset thing. At one point Exmark was the best machine for the area, but over time other brands have improved drastically and are much better suited for this area, but try to get the current Exmark users to switch..... no way. Not going to happen. It doesn't mean that Exmark is still best, but rather that they are perceived as being the top of the line machine still. That's it. I'd bet money it;'s the same in your area for Hustler, or any other area of the US where one brand has typically held the top position for several years running.

As for calling the guy, that would be rather stupid and a waste of time, not to mention an insult to the guy. He has his reasons for buying what he buys where he is at now, but let him move to the north and I bet big money that his brand of choice would change quick, fast and ion a hurry!

As for the LCO's here being small fish in a big pond, you need to read more of the other sub forums it would appear. There are some very big fish here, but regardless of that, there are LCO's from all walks of life here, and all areas of the country. You can't get more diversified than that.

Your first question to me about the best machine for a given area of the country is not an yes or no answer for me, because again as I have already mentioned and GMLC pointed out, what sells best isn't always what IS best. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it's what was and old habits are hard to break. Sometimes it's a matter of buying whatever a really great dealer sells regardless of brand because reliability is oh so important for a commercial cutter.

You are not the only guy on this site to try to tell me how superior Hustlers are built, but I have spent a lot of time looking around/over them and about every major brand made before dropping cash money on one, and I can see some areas in which they are more heavily built, and others where I don't think so at all when comparing them side by side. The decks are stout, but are way overkill to say the least, even for a hardcore commercial cutter. The frames though? Gotta call BS on that, especially these days with so many others building very stout machines. The Hyper Drive is no doubt built very well, but again, so what if the other major brands are lasting as long as the machine's useful life? What more can anyone ask of a hydro? The biggest thing is that there are constantly more complaints about Hustlers decks than any other brand, and that is spread out around the globe, not just the country or one area of it.

I'm glad that you are happy with your SZ. It is always a pleasure to own something that you really enjoy, but please don't keep hawking them to the rest of us (especially those of us that do this for our living) as if they are the ne plus ultra. They aren't. If they were, more of us who are out in the fields and traveling the roads daily would see more LCO's running them throughout the country than we do, but we don't, and there's a reason for that. Anyone being objective about all this would at least have to agree to that last comment.
I think you will have to agree there are a lot more roads to travel, and grass to be cut below the Mason-Dixon line, and for us to hear the sales numbers and physically see what is being run, and it's not JD or Gravely I can assure you. Then by you being objective, you would agree there is a reason for that.

Just for curiosities sake, would you agree there is much more grass cut below the Mason-Dixon line than above it?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was told Gravely's biggest sales are in the southeast. Especially Florida all the way to Texas. They have just recently started selling good in other areas of the country. Even within states you will find brands are regional. I believe it has a lot to do with dealers. A good dealer can dominate an area.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I was told Gravely's biggest sales are in the southeast. Especially Florida all the way to Texas. They have just recently started selling good in other areas of the country. Even within states you will find brands are regional. I believe it has a lot to do with dealers. A good dealer can dominate an area.
With my dealer selling over a 100 at this point during the year I think is exceptional, do any of you know of a dealer that has sold over a hundred Gravelys this year?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
With my dealer selling over a 100 at this point during the year I think is exceptional, do any of you know of a dealer that has sold over a hundred Gravelys this year?
Not personally but I follow Gravelys facebook page and about once a month they post masive fleet deliveries from around the country. I have seen 75 or so machines in a single delivery posted. When I went to Florida to demo my first Gravely I was told one of the largest LCO's in the country was replacing its entire fleet of 1200 machines with Gravelys. It was going to take a few years to complete.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I can see Gravely really picking up down here in Florida. I have only seen 1 new Gravely in the past 6 months. The Gravely mowers I do see are the older style.

I had been contacted by Gravely in June and they wanted to set me up a demo, as I had showed interest on the forums. I told them I would like to demo in July and August which is our peak cutting/rainy season. I forgot all about it until I got a call this morning from Gravely to see if I was still interested in a demo. I had forgot all about it and it just blew me away they would have such good follow through. Most dealers/manufactures you're lucky if they call you back later the same day but over a month later is unheard of IME.

One thing I got from talking with Mark? from Gravely was I could get an extended demo of several machines if I had wanted. That tells me they are extremely confident in their machines and feel if they can get you on one you'll more than likely buy a Gravely.

None of the other dealers in the area will give you a real demo. Some will let you ride around the parking lot. When I purchased our Dixie Chopper last year they let me demo it in the parking lot. I took it a little further when I noticed an overgrown lot next door to the dealership and took off mowing through it.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
I can see Gravely really picking up down here in Florida. I have only seen 1 new Gravely in the past 6 months. The Gravely mowers I do see are the older style.

I had been contacted by Gravely in June and they wanted to set me up a demo, as I had showed interest on the forums. I told them I would like to demo in July and August which is our peak cutting/rainy season. I forgot all about it until I got a call this morning from Gravely to see if I was still interested in a demo. I had forgot all about it and it just blew me away they would have such good follow through. Most dealers/manufactures you're lucky if they call you back later the same day but over a month later is unheard of IME.

One thing I got from talking with Mark? from Gravely was I could get an extended demo of several machines if I had wanted. That tells me they are extremely confident in their machines and feel if they can get you on one you'll more than likely buy a Gravely.

None of the other dealers in the area will give you a real demo. Some will let you ride around the parking lot. When I purchased our Dixie Chopper last year they let me demo it in the parking lot. I took it a little further when I noticed an overgrown lot next door to the dealership and took off mowing through it.
Thats how I got started with Gravely. Saw one at a dealer open house and couldnt believe the build and attention to detail. So I started asking questions on LS and was contacted by Gravely for a demo in Florida as we had no grass growing yet. I let them know I was only a small company and they said it doesnt matter, come on down!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mowers do seem to be very regional. For example check out hustlers site and locate a dealer with the zip code 20855. The one listed at 3.9 miles can get hustler mowers but they don't stock any and they don't even really sell to lco's. They sell golf course equipment. The next one is 20 miles away down in virginia and they just get further and further away.

Do the same with exmark, scag, bobcat, toro and you will find multiple dealers only a couple miles away and those are the mowers you primarily see around here with exmark being king.

I still cant get past all the hustler threads about hydro problems, electrical problems and cut quality problems that I have seen over the last few years. It was enough to make me never bother to even look at one. If a local dealer were to start carrying them I would demo one for fun but being they are longer it wouldnt even fit on our trailer. I have one inch left behind the 460 when i close the gate.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thats how I got started with Gravely. Saw one at a dealer open house and couldnt believe the build and attention to detail. So I started asking questions on LS and was contacted by Gravely for a demo in Florida as we had no grass growing yet. I let them know I was only a small company and they said it doesnt matter, come on down!!!
One thing I forgot to mention. Gravely wanted to know how I wanted it set up. Bagger, side discharge or mulch. Told them I side discharge with an OCDC, guy said not a problem he'd have it set up how I wanted!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I think you will have to agree there are a lot more roads to travel, and grass to be cut below the Mason-Dixon line, and for us to hear the sales numbers and physically see what is being run, and it's not JD or Gravely I can assure you. Then by you being objective, you would agree there is a reason for that.

Just for curiosities sake, would you agree there is much more grass cut below the Mason-Dixon line than above it?
No, not really. I have to believe that you don't travel up above the line very often with those comments. You may have a longer mowing season, but not more grass to cut. It's not all suburbs and city up here puppy. There's tons and tons of wide open areas and farm lands, huge acreage estates etc., as well. As for roads, we have no mountains to deal with around here to determine where a road can be run, and I can guarantee you we have every bit as many roads and most likely a lot more of them to travel than you guys down south. You keep forgetting I lived in FLA for several years, and drove back and forth between there are here to come back for visits. Now, when I lived in Alaska, I'll grant you you have more roads down there than they do up there. There's only about 5 of them up there LOL.