Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have a Walker, but on my Toro it will do this sometimes. What happens with mine is that when I set the parking break it doesn't press the sensor button in far enough to engage it. The brake is actually set, but not the electronic part of it. It would be worth checking if you have that type of parking brake.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We've had a few faulty ignitions in our new mowers. We'd go to shut the mowers down and they would stay running. Or we would show up to a job and the beeper would be going off as if the key was in the on position, one happened at 150 hours and the other at 300. Check the plunger for the PTO, sometimes they get gunky and stick. If the mower just dies it is most likely a safety switch or related fuse/wiring. Good luck
Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow!!! Thanks Joe MOwer! I found all 3 safety switches and I wasn't sure what you meant about putting a fuse in so I just unplugged the pto safety switch and BOOM!!!! Started working again! The clue was the hopper dispersal thing huh? OK, so I was so excited to run in and post this that I forgot to check if the hopper dispersal thing is moving now... If I unplugged the switch, will it think it's not on? Also, I know I have to get this to the dealer but I am so swamped tomorrow and I am wondering if I can run it with the pto safety switch unplugged? Can I mess up the ECU doing this or anything else? Should I put electrical tape on the parts that I unplugged to keep dirt out? Thanks so much for everyone's help.... Been in the industry for 15 years but now I have my own company and am trying to stay away from the dealer($) as much as possible..... Would this be a warranty issue? Just bought the unit in March....
Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Wow!!! Thanks Joe MOwer! I found all 3 safety switches and I wasn't sure what you meant about putting a fuse in so I just unplugged the pto safety switch and BOOM!!!! Started working again! The clue was the hopper dispersal thing huh? OK, so I was so excited to run in and post this that I forgot to check if the hopper dispersal thing is moving now... If I unplugged the switch, will it think it's not on? Also, I know I have to get this to the dealer but I am so swamped tomorrow and I am wondering if I can run it with the pto safety switch unplugged? Can I mess up the ECU doing this or anything else? Should I put electrical tape on the parts that I unplugged to keep dirt out? Thanks so much for everyone's help.... Been in the industry for 15 years but now I have my own company and am trying to stay away from the dealer($) as much as possible..... Would this be a warranty issue? Just bought the unit in March....
Glad I could help Armsden! The dispersal chute may not be running now since the circuit is now broken from disconnecting the switch. To buy you some time and get this working again take a 25 amp plug in type car fuse and insert it into the wire connector that you disconnected from the switch just as if you were plugging the two prongs from the switch back in. You may want to tape the fuse in so it won't fall out of the connector while you are working. You won't mess up the ECU because you are not adding any electrical current. The fuss is just simply completing the circuit. You could even use a piece of wire to do the same thing but the fuse is the perfect size and more convenient. It's great that you are trying to resolve your equipment problems on your own. Dealers will suck it out of you at times... Most problems are pretty simple once you sit back and think about them. And yes, the warranty should cover that switch. Good luck and let me know if I can ever help again.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly I am just so grateful for L.S and guys like yourself that are kind enough to help out a complete stranger... Your advice has not only saved my mowing day tomorrow but also a trip to the dealer.... Believe me, I'm sure this won't be the first time that I hit you up for some advice... hahaha.... I know you run MB's right? Or is it MBS'...? Any way, I am always reading your posts about those because I am looking to pull the trigger on an MBSY at the beginning of next season....
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Honestly I am just so grateful for L.S and guys like yourself that are kind enough to help out a complete stranger... Your advice has not only saved my mowing day tomorrow but also a trip to the dealer.... Believe me, I'm sure this won't be the first time that I hit you up for some advice... hahaha.... I know you run MB's right? Or is it MBS'...? Any way, I am always reading your posts about those because I am looking to pull the trigger on an MBSY at the beginning of next season....
Armsden- I've got an MSBY too so PM me before you buy one. I'll give you the pros vs cons on that one too. Initially I would say go with an MBS 29efi over the MBSY but let's talk first before I float my advise to you on that one.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds awesome Joe! To be perfectly honest, I really love my EFI now and it would be nice to keep the SD Walker in the same category... That's why the 29 would be awesome as well. I don't know, I just think the EFI's are super powerful... I mean, I see posts on here with people saying Walkers can't climb and I don't know what planet they are on but my girl climbs like a mountain goat..... sideways at that(diagonal up hills)... One of the things about the diesels is ........ It's a diesel!!!! Diesel rules and to have the biggest Walker and Diesel, I'm sure must be an amazing combo huh?