Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2003, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

New Dixie and new problems

I just bought this Dixie C. yesterday. Mowed all day today and came home to mow my lawn. WHen I finished and cut the machine off, it wouldn't restart at all. DEAD. Anyone had this problem? Could be safety switch in seat? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What model ?
Old 08-21-2003, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Model XK250360 kawasaki. Any ideas?
Old 08-22-2003, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not familiar with that model , but check the wires going to the starter , there maybe a inline fuse holder , with a mini fuse blown , also check under the seat for a loose relay
Old 08-22-2003, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

You are partially correct there about the starter wires/starter. I suspected that too. The dealer mechanic came out, replaced the starter and the fuse blew again. He said it could be a couple of different problems. One could be the solenoid is overpowered. They have to take the motor apart and look for pinched wires too. This is ridiculous! I told the dealer that I wanted a new machine. This is a Kawasaki but he's only getting in Kohlers next week. What do think is the better machine and why?
I'm afraid to keep this machine at this point. Iv'e got a feeling this is a lemon. I really wanted a Kaw though. Got any thoughts on that?
Old 08-22-2003, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reason I thought of this is I have one with a Genrac which has blown 3 starter fuses so far ,seasons end it goes in for repairs
Old 09-02-2003, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Tek, did u ever find out what was wrong with your mower. Mine is doing same thing but a Kohler 25 on it.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No have not had it in the dealer yet .
Old 09-09-2003, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

as far the silenoid beeing over powered would be my last suspect. They seldom go bad even under the worst conditions. Its a 12 volt system with a either ac/dc charging altenator or straight dc. either way it will only put out roughly 14 volts to the charging system. A quick check is that if you can jump the silenoid from post to post and it bumps the engine over its good. It could have a pinched wire somehwere that is causing a direct short and resulting in a blown fuse. The only way to check for that is visually and or with a ohm meter and check the harness out. Load testing the battery is a good place to start. Its not uncommon for new units to come with batterys that where not charged when assembled at the dealer fully or dropped a cell during charging for the first few cycles. Checking the charging system out as well would be a good idea and see if its putting out enough power. I would tell them you want the machine fixed verus going with a kohler. The new kohlers seem to have alot of problems with hydro lifters causing problems and making alot of chater. Plus the overall cost in the future. Kaws are three times easier to service and repiar than kohlers in my book.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I waited 3 weeks for another Kaw to be shipped. I looked at several dealers on the East coast and none had any. I broke down and got a kohler. I hope I made the right choice. I did speak with several dealers who told me that repairing a kaw is very difficult because of parts availability. Evidently, Kaw won't ship anything unless they have a large enough order. Around here, people tend to use the kohlers. Seems kohler has the edge on the Dixie market. My dealer looked several places too and he couldn't find a kaw for me.