Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I used it to set walls on at cabin that sits on a crazy slope. It was priceless. The ability of the blade to really articulate allows you to level the machine. That came in very handy as well. That is a crazy warranty.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The old Case Drott had the self leveling machine ,but as they got older they would leak oil badly and when left to set,would always be ready to tip over on one side when you came back the next morning to work.Alway parked it on the level or with cab down hill unless you wanted a ladder to climb up in the cab.

My guestion would be wouldn't a tilt bucket(with thumb) or tilt grapple for placing rock walls work also, compared to purchasing another machine.I do realize the machine setting level is a plus,but at what cost.

If you have the work i could see the size and ability of the machine being a plus,but attachments are still cheaper then another machine,unless size was and issue.

Also then you have to chance your tag line to add you new mcahine, will it be at the end of the line or the front????
Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think a tilt bucket with a thumb would be kind of odd when you are articulating the bucket because the bucket shifts but the thumb does not. Not to mention having to work a spliter to work the thumb and the bucket tilt. I think some of that could be accomplished with one of those knuckle attachments you see in the EU a lot. They are 12-15K for a 50 series mini ex. Also you don't lose any breakout force by adding an attachment (although I would love to have one of those tilt rotor type attachments). They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first thought about sidehilling would be that I'd be worried about the increased likelihood of throwing a track?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I remember those old Drotts that were leaning over when parked.

I would think a tilting bucket could work if you were just digging but I have not done that kind of digging? I guess if you had to dig deep it wouldn't work?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we did throw a track, but it was my fault. The machine was brand new and as the hours went by the tracks started to stretch out as they all do, and I should have tightened up the track and avoided having to put it back on. Sure is a lot easier putting on a track from a 38 sized machine than the 53 sized machine.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
we did throw a track, but it was my fault. The machine was brand new and as the hours went by the tracks started to stretch out as they all do, and I should have tightened up the track and avoided having to put it back on. Sure is a lot easier putting on a track from a 38 sized machine than the 53 sized machine.
I hope I don't have to find out