Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Super Z Cutting With Speed

I'm not very good at this yet, and my daughter shot the video with her phone; but it will give you an idea of how much grass I can cut with a Hustler Super Z in a very short time period.

This length of straight line distance I cut is 263' (measured), and I cut four passes in 70 seconds, look at the video time. This is 4' x 6' (72" deck) = 24' x 263' = 6312 sq ft cut in 70 seconds. 6312 ÷ 70 = 90.17 sq ft cut per second...90.17 x 3600 sec per hr = 324,617 sq ft ÷ by 43,560 sq ft per ac = 7.45 ac per hr. cut.

I'm rounding this off to a close number, but for a mower to cut this amount it will be cutting at a speed of 13 mph, at 80% cut efficiency. This is a 6' deck width x 13 mph x 5280 ft per mile = 411,840 sq ft ÷ by 43,560 sq ft per ac x 80% efficiency = 7.56 ac per hr. cut.

This is another interesting number to look at, when you cut 90.17 sq ft per second you divide that by the 6' width of the deck, this means the mower (due to turn time / 80% efficiency) is mowing at an average speed of only 10.23 mph.

I knew people would look at this video and began saying was he cutting grass or just driving with the deck off, which of course would mean your ground speed would increase. I went immediately after the cut video and took pictures to show there was no uncut grass left, while being cut at a very fast speed with blades that have now not been sharpened in 65 hrs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6iQN7zXpqw

The first picture is showing the grass height cut and uncut. The second picture is showing there is no uncut grass left, and this is grass that had 1/2" of rainfall last night. The third picture is showing no clippings showing and a smooth cut for the conditions.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks good. How much grass did you cut off?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Looks good. How much grass did you cut off?
I did not measure, but looking at the uncut grass what would you guess, maybe 3"?

A person really needs to look at the numbers to understand how much grass is actually being cut.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I did not measure, but looking at the uncut grass what would you guess, maybe 3"?
Impressive at that speed.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What engine do you have puppy?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad you finally posted a video. It is fun to watch any machine working IMO. Also, you are obviously close to a RR track somewhere LOL I grew up next to one and know that sound well.

The speed things seems to be really important in your desire to "prove" to all of us that the SZ is the best thing since sliced bread, but as I said in the 472 thread, what does that really prove? You sure can't do that in a commercial setting, and you most definitely couldn't do it up here in the north on this type of grass. Your speed would be easily offset by many, if not most other brands superior cut on northern turf. Why npt now try the 472 on that grass in the video. No rain in the sky that I could see. Grass was short and easy to cut. Seems like a much more fair place to demo a machine built to maintain manicured turf vs bush hog type cutting.

You are always asking us why this, or do we agree with that, and demand an answer from us on our opinions posted. So......Why is it so important for you to always try to prove the SZ is the best machine around? It works great for you on your farm. Again, so what? You are but a single grain of sand on a very large beach, same as the rest of us. This is comparing apples to oranges by comparing your speed on your own land for where no profit is involved vs the rest of us who do this for our living. Are you saying that a single grain of sand is more correct than the many other grains who disagree with you over the SZ?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the setting I was hoping to see the 472 cut in the review with the overgrown stuff as a secondary test.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I'm glad you finally posted a video. It is fun to watch any machine working IMO. Also, you are obviously close to a RR track somewhere LOL I grew up next to one and know that sound well.

The speed things seems to be really important in your desire to "prove" to all of us that the SZ is the best thing since sliced bread, but as I said in the 472 thread, what does that really prove? You sure can't do that in a commercial setting, and you most definitely couldn't do it up here in the north on this type of grass. Your speed would be easily offset by many, if not most other brands superior cut on northern turf. Why npt now try the 472 on that grass in the video. No rain in the sky that I could see. Grass was short and easy to cut. Seems like a much more fair place to demo a machine built to maintain manicured turf vs bush hog type cutting.

You are always asking us why this, or do we agree with that, and demand an answer from us on our opinions posted. So......Why is it so important for you to always try to prove the SZ is the best machine around? It works great for you on your farm. Again, so what? You are but a single grain of sand on a very large beach, same as the rest of us. This is comparing apples to oranges by comparing your speed on your own land for where no profit is involved vs the rest of us who do this for our living. Are you saying that a single grain of sand is more correct than the many other grains who disagree with you over the SZ?
I've never seen anyone so bitter over being shown something they honestly don't want to believe, you have a hard time believing your own eyes. I never set out to show you what my mower would do up north, I don't care what my mower will do up north, my object was to show you what you claim cannot happen, and that is for a Super Z mower to cut grass cleanly at full speed with no clumping.

I don't cut grass to make money, I cut grass with a mower that will save me money by being much more productive in my cutting situation.

I think you should be able to figure out from what you've seen that there are LCO's that cut grass in this area of the country with Hustlers, and do very well with their business.

Hustlers don't cut good in northern grasses, so what, that is perfectly fine, we don't deal with the limp blade northern type grasses.

You just need to suck it up and admit that a Hustler Super Z will actually give a better cut than you believed possible, and that it will definitely give a better cut at a more productive speed than you've ever seen.

I will then tell you that there is no doubt you JD does a wonderful job in your northern cutting, and at a very reasonable speed. Your happy, I'm happy, and we all live very happily until the hereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
What engine do you have puppy?
35 Kawasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
This is the setting I was hoping to see the 472 cut in the review with the overgrown stuff as a secondary test.
The 472 cut the very exact same thing, the only difference it did not leave as smooth a cut finish, and it took it much longer to perform the same work.

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-22-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like it's time for us to all just let it go. I'm referring to ridin, gmlc, myself, and any others who are trying to show you that just because you love your mower, doesn't make it the supreme z on the market. You are impossible to reason with, we bring up valid points and you bring up your opinions and post numbers and calculations that disprove our points, and visa versa. We all know how much math problems and such come into play during our mowing operations every day. There are so many other variables that play into our days that control productivity and our end amount of grass cut per hour. We aren't lucky enough to be able to make 4 passes and then run the numbers and come up with the end amount of grass that the mower can potentially handle. Puppy, I want you to measure all of your mowed property and post the results, and then take the required time to mow it all and record the time taken. Then run it through your little calculator and post the results. I can guarantee that you won't cut as much grass as you think you can in the time you think it will take. There is so much more that comes into play that slows you down.

I could make 4 passes on my 66" super z and come up with an estimated acre/hr. That is not realistic though, because I can tell you that I mow a 3.4 acre property and it takes me exactly an hour. I'm obviously required to mow at a pace that produces an acceptable cut. If the property was wide open with no obstacles I could probably mow it faster. This is what we face in the lawn industry, and this is something you obviously have no idea about and obviously don't care. Which is like a 6 year old having an opinion and when asked for a reason as to why they have the opinion they answer "cuz". This just the interpretation of the things I see you post.

It's a never ending cycle that no one will win. You have the best mower for your cutting situations, but it's not worth a damn for 90% of the other users in the industry. I won't speak for anyone else, but in my opinion you don't want to accept that fact, as much as we don't accept that there arent other mowers that can compare with it day in and day out. Until we come down and mow side by side with you, we will never know.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you are mowing the smoothest yard in the world lol. But I with CurbappealKS , you do love your mower and there is no winning with you lol It looks like your knocking 1.5'' off the top and you def' won't have any clippings unless your knocking off 3'' or more at that speed. Don't you only mow your property? Your not a commercial cutter are you?