Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy vs Snapper Pro questions.

Great web-site.

I searched out a bunch of excellent threads.

I have been narrowing my choices down on a commercial mower for my farm.

I would be grateful if you guys might help me out with some of your expertise.

I want to mow around 4-acres of lawn, once a week in season. I'm in northern Louisiana, so March through October or so.

I also want to mow two (2) 10-acre cow pastures. Fairly clean and smooth cow pastures. Perhaps once every two (2) months or so. Cut height on max.

Twice a year, I may mow my 18-acre hay-field. Once again, fairly clean and reasonably smooth, no hazards. Highest cutting setting.

No steep hills, mild grades only.

I want a machine that will last for ten (10) years with proper maintenance.

I've looked at Scag, Bad Boy, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Snapper Pro. (I've laughed at Home Depot and Lowes consumer selections.)

I am thinking that Snapper Pro or Bad Boy are the "best bang for the buck."

I am trying to decide if the Snapper 200xt, with 2x2 7-guage rails and iron spindles is worth the extra money over the Snapper 150xt with the 1.5X2 11-guage rails and aluminum spindles. Both have the (beefy) ZT5400 trans, and various engine options. Either the 52" (150) or 61" (200) ICD deck would be fine.

Engine choices from Snapper include: Kaw FX, B&S Commercial Turf Series, Vanguard Big Block, Kohler Command Pro EFI. Do any of these engines suck? Or will all of them suffice? BTW the Command EFI is way too expensive for me.

On Bad Boy, it looks like the CZT or Outlaw. The CZT has the ZT3400, the Outlaw the ZT5400. I cannot find info on the spindles utilized. Aluminum or iron?

Engines for the BB include: Briggs Cyclonic, Kohler Command or Kaw FS. Once again, are there any BB engine choices to avoid?

I may buy pre-owned (low hours, well maintained only) or a demo-model if possible.

Will the 150/200 or the CZT/Outlaw be enough mower? Will any of my choices (150/CZT) be "not enough"? Is the 200 or Outlaw overkill?

Any and all input and expertise is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Boy vs Snapper Pro questions.

If your going to be mowing pastures or hay fields look into a diesel. I like the JD 997 diesel with 7 iron deck. If you can get one of them used with low hours it would be perfect for you.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds to me like you are on a budget which is perfectly fine. The snapper pro is a ferris without suspension. The rest is the same. I have never even considered a bad boy, to me there is just no way they can offer the same quality as the big brands with a lower price. They have to be scrimping somewhere and you can see this in the engine department. The only decent commercial engine is the command. Snapper on the other hand offers 3 that would be safe bets. I would stay away from the cyclonic Briggs, it's pretty widely understood that it's not as reliable as the rest of the options.

If the end price is going to be the determining factor, then by all means go with the bad boy, but in my opinion if you spend a little more you can get a lot more mower that will most likely last longer, whatever brand you choose.

Your best bet is to just demo whatever mower intrigues you. If something has already caught your eye, then give it a run and see how you like it. You are better off doing that than listening to us on here and buying something you will hate.

Last edited by CurbAppealKS; 07-22-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

If you dont have a budget then I would buy a Hustler Super Z Diesel. There fast and will last you a long time.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its hard to beat the Snapper Pro for the price. I was very impressed when I demoed one. I have a feeling, at least in my area, their sales will keep getting better and better.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a S200XT with the 36 hp Vanguard Big Block and so far, so good. For the price difference between the Kawasaki powered S150XT and the 200, I couldn't see any reason not to spend a little more money for more mower. The big blocks have a good reputation and now Snapper Pro's come with a 4 year or 500 hour warranty. You also can't beat the cut of the ICD deck, my previous mower had it as well.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing on the Snapper Pro is that I wouldn't buy the S200XT with the cyclonic briggs. I demo'd one and it had enough power for a homeowner that mowed his 3-5 acre yard 1-2 times a week. But mowing hay fields and whatnot, I don't suggest it. I sold the big S200XT's the first year I opened in 2010. They are great machines. But i just couldn't move them against the Ferris. The Kohler 29efi is a LITTLE underpowered ( in my opion )for the snapper. But if fuel consumption is your concern, thats a hell of a choice. On my ferris demo - it got 1.3 GPH. The vanguard 32/36hp is arguably the best engine on the market. It's got the gusto to run the snapper or the bad boy with no problems. Snapper has got a better warranty. But depends just which better dealer support you get- I know the Snapper Pro dealer in Shrevport, they are good folks. They would take excellent care of ya
Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bad Boy uses a massive aluminum spindle. The aluminum is dissipating the heat better for the bearings. It has double sized bearings in it compared to the other spindles. I am on the other side of the Briggs Cyclonic. It is one of my selling engines, is holding up very well (aside from some crankcase seals not put on right from factory). So far we are having very little breakdowns with them. I actually keep replacements in stock for motor replacements because for $1200 a Kawasaki or kohler can be replaced....lol

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks gentlemen, I fully appreciate all the input and advice.

Particularly on the engines and spindles. Seems everybody loves the Vanguards.

I am in the 6K budget range. I also want a bagger/collection system, which I realize is 2K-ish extra.

I have seen used, low hours - homeowner, Snapper 200's at right around $5,800.00.

I have seen a Snapper 200xt, brand new with B&S 27 hp, and a 61" deck for $6,100.00. The dealer is a member of this web-site. Has a Mighty-Mouse looking avatar.

Was looking at a used 220-hour, Kubota at $5,700 in the Shreveport Craigslist yesterday. Immediately googled the ZG227, it led me to....a big thread on this website.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=278532

Which made me chuckle. From that very informative link, apparently a terrific mower which would be burly enough for me.

I am not quite ready to buy, less than 30-days I will be good to go. I am itching to pull the trigger.

I *think* I can work with my 6K mower budget or very close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
The only thing on the Snapper Pro is that I wouldn't buy the S200XT with the cyclonic briggs. I demo'd one and it had enough power for a homeowner that mowed his 3-5 acre yard 1-2 times a week. But mowing hay fields and whatnot, I don't suggest it. I sold the big S200XT's the first year I opened in 2010. They are great machines. But i just couldn't move them against the Ferris. The Kohler 29efi is a LITTLE underpowered ( in my opion )for the snapper. But if fuel consumption is your concern, thats a hell of a choice. On my ferris demo - it got 1.3 GPH. The vanguard 32/36hp is arguably the best engine on the market. It's got the gusto to run the snapper or the bad boy with no problems. Snapper has got a better warranty. But depends just which better dealer support you get- I know the Snapper Pro dealer in Shrevport, they are good folks. They would take excellent care of ya
Shreveport, is that actually in Bossier? I visited the Bossier location.

One more question.

Assuming proper and timely maintenance.

What do you guys consider "low hours - a good buy" in general when looking at pre-owned commercial units? Less than 200 hours? 300?