Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Red, if you are charging $42 an hour and paying $12 a hour for a worker, that brings u down to $30 an hour. Now add fuel and monthly overhead. Now take out taxes from your profit. I'm pretty sure your worker is making more than you. Just saying...

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I know that it is slim for making money and the bad part is that's what every other landscaper charges in the area for big or small companies. I do charge additional for fuel on each job but its still not much money after all the overhead. Insurance alone cost $70 for each day we work. If I were too much more I wouldn't get any jobs. Everyone already says I am higher than the others but go with me because of all the good things they hear about the work we do.

I have had so much business this year but with the weather and not so great employees I haven't made a dime yet this season. I haven't been able to pay myself a salary and just waiting until I get ahead on bills. Every other year I have done just fine and made money, not a lot but some.

Last edited by Red Shed Landscaping; 07-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't tell you how to run your business however I bust my tail to make money, not to pay off bills.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Charging by the hour, you'll never make ends meet. You gotta start charging by the job! No fun knowing each and every day you make the same money, no matter how hard you work. May as well go work for someone. Just saying, nothing personal Red.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have contemplated going to work for someone else so I could make around the same amount and without a lot less hassles of running a business. It would be easier but not sure if I could give my business up.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
I have contemplated going to work for someone else so I could make around the same amount and without a lot less hassles of running a business. It would be easier but not sure if I could give my business up.
You shouldn't give up your business. How many years have you been at this for yourself.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my 10th year in business and did it a few years before that as well. I do think about working for someone else more so this year since it hasn't been going as well but I feel like I have built up a pretty good name for myself in the area and could do a lot more for myself if I can get some good people to help me.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Self employment is not all that people (like Zedo) make it cut out to be.

You haven't been able to pay yourself a salary because the business is not making money. If it's not making money - then its time to have a "come to Jesus talk" with yourself.

Do you realize you could make $70k per year driving a tractor trailer??

Finding good help is a total nightmare. Hard to find good help if the money isn't there to pay them what they're really worth.

Is there an area within 60 miles from you that has higher income levels? See, the recession was a blessing in disguise for me. We used to work primarily within 25 miles of our shop. I got desperate for money and ventured out to working 60 miles away, sometimes even further. WOW, what a difference, a whole different market! I'm making money, I am on the company's payroll and I'm on salary! Yeah, I must wake up at the crack of dawn, but I'm financially secure. I kick myself for not venturing further out from the day one.

My guys. They get paid modestly per hour. We usually work Mon-Thursday (4 days a week, usually 10-12 hr days).

You should look around and see if there are other markets you can service

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.