Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hey Porcupine, have you seen many people using these mowers around? I have only seen some people using the timemaster, I don't know if the tranny problems were up here too. I was trying to hold off on getting an exmark 30 until next season, but was debating getting one in the next couple weeks to help speed things up.
Timemasters here in the GTA is all I saw.
In Aurora I saw a homeowner using a Turfmaster (Toro) on a fairly big lawn...
The tranny problems are mainly for the eXmarks because eXmark made the design a little different. Still, I would advise agianst. Wait for 2014. There is some talk of Toro 22155/22156/22197/22198 wheels to be put on just a larger diameter and a larger S/D hole... And of course probably better drive system.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey thanks Porcupine, I typically wouldn't buy a 1st generation product, but this mower has had everyone intrigued. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey thanks Porcupine, I typically wouldn't buy a 1st generation product, but this mower has had everyone intrigued. Thanks for the info.
Yeah man, glad I could help.
I know this is off topic but does Alpine sell Shindiawa articulated hedge trimmers? Thanks

Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if they sell that brand, I use stihl articulating hedge trimmer attachment and I am very happy with, also the chainsaw attachment comes in handy. For handheld hedge trimmers I use the hs45 and just got an hs81t, its a nice upgrade from the hs45.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't know if they sell that brand, I use stihl articulating hedge trimmer attachment and I am very happy with, also the chainsaw attachment comes in handy. For handheld hedge trimmers I use the hs45 and just got an hs81t, its a nice upgrade from the hs45.
I was thinking of trying something different but I think i'll just stick with Stihl then. I like the 45 and my buddy just got a 81t and a Shindiawia articulated hedge trimmer.
I have the articulated attachment that I use on a 110 too.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Exmark Commercial 30 has been my main mower all season. I would hate to not have it. It's a great machine.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Cedar we love our three exmark 30's. The gas tanks are good size. You don't have to refuel after every lawn. Some days we only refuel once in the day. There were transmission problems this spring. We had all three go down and tranny's replaced. We haven't had any problems after that. The company making the trannies didn't follow the spects. Exmark fixed the problem and has given a two year warranity on tranny's. We cut high grass with them and they did well. We discharged high grass and then mulched it on a second cut at a higher level. We cut all our lawns weekly. The wheels are not plastic. They've held up well. The cut follows the turf, you don't have missed area's with the deck lifting like you do with larger walkbehinds. They are not good on hills. I really think you would be happy with this mower. We are very happy. It was a good move for our company. The bottom line is the people like the cut and we are making more money with less overhead.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Turfmaster 30

I just purchased one today. I love it cuts great,cuts down on time,never have to fill up.I will buy another one. to replace all my Honda Hrc commercial model mowers!I think that it does great for a commercial mower.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
I agree with Cedar we love our three exmark 30's. The gas tanks are good size. You don't have to refuel after every lawn. Some days we only refuel once in the day. There were transmission problems this spring. We had all three go down and tranny's replaced. We haven't had any problems after that. The company making the trannies didn't follow the spects. Exmark fixed the problem and has given a two year warranity on tranny's. We cut high grass with them and they did well. We discharged high grass and then mulched it on a second cut at a higher level. We cut all our lawns weekly. The wheels are not plastic. They've held up well. The cut follows the turf, you don't have missed area's with the deck lifting like you do with larger walkbehinds. They are not good on hills. I really think you would be happy with this mower. We are very happy. It was a good move for our company. The bottom line is the people like the cut and we are making more money with less overhead.
I second what he has listed above. All true in my opinion. I like the exmark 30 so far despite a few problems. for in depth answers, I suggest you read the LONG thread on the topic called "pulled the trigger, exmark 30". Its worth the read. Overall Im happy with the mower. Here are a few additions to whats listed above: I have encountered lawns where the mower will not cut well,but those lawns are FULL of weeds, and thin grass. The weeds are like salad, and VERY wet. For a typical lawn, at normal heights, it does very well as a mulcher or bagger. Keeping the blades sharp and the deck clean makes a big difference in cut quality as well. Blade belt tension and drive cable adjustments are also necessary from time to time to keep the mower cutting optimally. I use the exmark 30 as my primary mower and have been very happy. For the size of the lawns we cut, we can fill the gas tank on the first stop, and run it for 3 or 4 lawns easy before even considering refilling....and yes...it sucks on hills for sure.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great input everyone, and yes I have followed that thread form the beginning, I think I have made up my mind and will purchase one for sure, I only use 21" mowers, and this would cut great on at least 50-75% of them, some are very small with nooks and crannies that even a 21" is a bit of a chore, thanks again everyone keep the comments coming.